ABS sensitivity - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By greywolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

ABS sensitivity

I've been street riding for about 10 years now with plenty of time in the rain on a daytona 675 and tiger 955. Neither of those had ABS of course. I just picked up a 2016 V2 a couple of weeks ago and love it but the ABS has me concerned a bit. It kicks in at the slightest provacation and the can be a bit unnerving when splitting lanes. Taking it to work a few times in the rain I've lightly ridden the front brake while pulling up to the front and going over the bots dots or sometimes the line would lead to the lever pulsing and my controlled stop all of a sudden being anything but controlled. It'll also kick in in the dry while braking over the dots.

As I mentioned I've commuted to work for years during the same conditions and haven't had a problem with the front tire locking up despite using summer tires and braking much more aggresively in the rain with the pretty damn good front brakes on my Daytona 675. Likewise the Tiger doesn't exactly have the best tires but is closer to the V2 in size and ergos and I haven't had a problem there either.

I read multiple complaints about the ABS when it comes to dirt riding but how about for street? Are the brakes and stock tires on the V2 more likely to lock up than what I'm used to and the ABS is just compensating for poor stock equipment (the tires, I know the brakes are top notch) or have I been dealing with slightly locking up the front on braking for years but never had a problem? I'm getting to the point where pulling the fuse permanently might be the route I want to take but I know at least for cars it's a very rare person that can brake better than the computer. The unsureness of what my front brake is going to do while splitting lanes is concerning enough to make me consider it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2017, 05:01 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The tire will lose contact with the ground momentarily coming off the dots and that will momentarily lock the wheel if the brake is applied, activating the ABS. I know it is disconcerting when the lever pulses but it will not affect braking distance as long as you keep up lever pressure. There is a tendency to let up on the brake when the pulse is felt but that is the wrong thing to do. Keep a steady pressure and your braking will be effective. I rode in places before stop lights and stop signs that had a washboard created in asphalt by truck trailer brakes skittering on hot summer pavement. My ABS would do exactly what you describe. Practice braking in such difficult areas until you get used to it. ABS requires different reflexes to be built up as you need to stay on the brakes instead of letting up when locking.

You have indeed been momentarily locking the brake on your non ABS bike without realizing it.
DerStrominator likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't disconnect it.. ABS saved my butt this morning just before I got to work.

I was going way too fast for the limit into a couple of sweepers in the industrial area by my work and was leaned over a decent amount. A car made very sudden left turn into a business driveway on the turn and probably didn't expect me at the speed I was going. (I think close to a SMIDSY situation except, if she was looking she probably would have seen lateral motion because of the turn.) My only choice to avoid hitting her was hammering the brakes and I did full emergency braking from about 60 mph to about 5 mph. ABS was triggered front and back and I just slowed enough to avoid hitting her.

If I did not have ABS I certainly would have locked up one or more of the wheels and wiped out.

Funny thing when I rode off to work I noted I didn't have the normal adrenaline hit that can happen in a tight situation but was kicking myself for not being more careful.

..Tom

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Last edited by V-Tom; 04-28-2017 at 06:19 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

The ABS system senses difference in wheel speeds. That's how it does its job. As GW describes, the momentary lock up of the wheel coming off the raised pavement markers is what causes the difference in wheel speed that your system is sensing.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-29-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks for the advice, I'll keep at it. I think my biggest concern was that I didn't think my front was locking up before and with the strom is happening more often than I expected. the fact that it most likely always has been and it hasn't been an issue clears my head about my new bike. I've always had a light touch on the front brakes to avoid locking it up in an emergency, I'll just have to keep in mind with the DL to keep on it and pull harder, there's still more to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode