Radiator guards & overheat issues? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Radiator guards & overheat issues?

I'm looking into buying & installing a radiator guard (more specifically the EG plate), but am a little concerned about blocking a good portion of the available area and creating a temp / heat issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other radiator guards and has anyone experienced any overheat issues after installing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not trolling, just genuinely curious. What are you worried about hitting it? The bottom of it is almost 2 feet off the ground.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyllini View Post
I'm looking into buying & installing a radiator guard (more specifically the EG plate), but am a little concerned about blocking a good portion of the available area and creating a temp / heat issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other radiator guards and has anyone experienced any overheat issues after installing?
No Clue, rode recently on a cool day and the fan was running at a red light. Not sure why. I also had it in the woods where it was hot, fan was on, it was fine. I also don't believe the thermostat gauge is accurate.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
have a r&g radiator guard road in 90+ degrees and never went above 3 lines fan was working

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Had bad experience once with a rock hitting and damaging my radiator (on another bike) - so ever since I've installed a radiator guard (cheap insurance)
I also had a bike where the guard reduced the amount of air flow enough so the fan was constantly on and the bike seem to be overheating - when it shouldn't have.

The EG guard that I am looking at - seems to be a little more air restrictive than some of the other ones - but also seems to be a little more "solid" than most.

Hence the dilemma.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've had the Enduro Guardian version on for about a year with no apparent over heating. The guage only shows 3 bars max.

2014 DL1000 Khaki
post #7 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Good to know - thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 PM
$tromtrooper

Screening.......

You might be surprised at how much air flow screening "can block". Look in McMaster-Carr at "Steel Wire Cloth". For example, a 3 x 3 mesh means 3 square openings "up" per inch and 3 square openings "across" per inch. Using a .120" wire diameter, gives you nearly 60% blockage of air flow....!!! The wire diameter greatly effects air blockage. Smaller diameter wire = less blockage, of course.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-m...lters/=17dx90v

I would tend to believe the Rad Guards made from sheet aluminum with air slots (or holes), is blocking a good (bad??) amount of air flow.
I have guards on both my vstrom and CB500X........the X's guard is made by R&G Racing, don't remember who makes the one on the Wee.

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode