Lowering Link Question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Lowering Link Question

When I bought my '14 1000 last year I had them put in a lowering link to lower the bike about 1.5" or so??? I want to put the original link back in to raise it back up again and I was checking out the link they put in. I expected to see a dogbone like what they took out but I may not even be looking at the right thing.

This is what came out -

This is what is in the bike now that I think is the lowering link -

The reason I am asking is because this one looks adjustable so I'm wondering if I could just adjust this one to give me back an inch or so instead of going back to the full original height.

Also, (I think I have seen a thread here before on calculating the front and rear suspension change) how do I know how far to raise the forks based on how far the link is adjusted?

Thanks.

Jes
2014 V-Strom DL1000

"Dress for the slide, not the ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

That dog bone is adjustable, whether you have enough adjustment to get back to the stock height is the question.

Do you have the recept for it so you can look up the brand and find out what are the adjustable lengths they say it can do.

The length between the bolt holes on the original is what you are looking for or get under your bike and have a play you may like something in-between.

After adjusting the dog bone and before you do anything else ensure you adjust the ride height and static sag on both ends of the bike, this makes a huge difference on modern motorcycles.

Adjusting the front really comes more down to preference, if you leave the front lowered the bike will turn in quicker, steer quicker, feel more nimble and could even feel twitchy (this is how I have my bikes set up)

Raising the front is easier than lowering so start with the height you have now and test ride the bike, if you think you would like to slow things down a little loosen the 3 socket head pinch bolts on one fork, use a leaver like a big screwdriver and a spacer under the handlebars to push the fork tube down a few millimetres, tighten the pinch bolts then do the other side the same amount. (only loosen one side at a time, the bike will support its own weight on one side)

Test ride again, you should feel things have slowed up a bit, you can push the forks down until they are level with the top triple clamp.

Has your kickstand been adjusted for the lowered bike ?
richlandrick likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Awesome information!

I don't know who the brand is that they got it from but I can probably call them and find out. I was kind of happy to see that it was adjustable because I am not sure that I want to go all the way back to the original height. I will test out the front also because I was under the impression that you had to raise and lower them together.

I have a poor man's job of adjusting the kickstand. We ground out a little notch on the bottom part to help give it more lean. We did it that way to keep from doing too much adjusting in case I did raise it back up again.

Jes
2014 V-Strom DL1000

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you shorten the link to raise the ride height? If so, looks like there's plenty left on that adjuster.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you shorten the link to raise the ride height? If so, looks like there's plenty left on that adjuster.
I think this is right, because the link that they gave me (the one removed) is shorter than the one that is there now so I assumed it had to be adjusted inward. I agree that it appears I have some good adjustability. Another reason I am kind of glad that it is like it is.

Jes
2014 V-Strom DL1000

post #6 of 17 Old 04-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have you measured the centerline of the holes on the original and the centerline of the installed unit?
Having those will give you a mathematical baseline as you dial in the height you want. (now & later)

Along the same line, find a repeatable way to measure your current distance between a point on the frame, over the rear axle, and the floor. I'm sure folks here would like to know those numbers, too.
HootStrom14 likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The information on this page may be useful. Check length in mm for a given drop or rise.

Gen 1 and 2 DL650 and Gen 1 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.

Stock length is 140 mm.
HootStrom14 likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
Have you measured the centerline of the holes on the original and the centerline of the installed unit?
Having those will give you a mathematical baseline as you dial in the height you want. (now & later)

Along the same line, find a repeatable way to measure your current distance between a point on the frame, over the rear axle, and the floor. I'm sure folks here would like to know those numbers, too.
I have not measured them yet only compared them to one another but I will do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
The information on this page may be useful. Check length in mm for a given drop or rise.

Gen 1 and 2 DL650 and Gen 1 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.

Stock length is 140 mm.
Thanks rick!

Jes

Jes
2014 V-Strom DL1000

post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Still haven't measured the actual distances on the links but we adjusted the lowering link in the bike today. Shortening it up which made the bike taller. I got about 1.5" out of it and still have some threads left. It's almost back to stock. I left the front as is right now but may wind up raising that up a little bit. Right now I like the steering and handling as is right now and know that will change when I push the suspension back down. Thanks for the help and info everyone!

Jes
2014 V-Strom DL1000

post #10 of 17 Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

To me, that looks like a Soupy's lowering link. If you tighten (shorten) it all the way up, you should be exactly at stock height. (I just removed a Soupy's link off my bike, and compared it to the stock link while both were off).

Long time rider, new to Stromming.
2018 DL1000 ... in yellow. <sigh>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode