Got her home - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Got her home

Just picked her up yesterday - new (leftover) 2015 Black 1000 - Great price and terrific dealer in MD.

Was kind of tired after the round trip so only took her out for about an hour or so - but long enough to determine several things I'll definitely need.

Throttle tamer - bike reminded me of an old girlfriend back in Europe - "shortest fuse this side of the Atlantic" - just look at her the wrong way and Bang!

Got to smooth her out - especially if any standing up riding will take place.

Bar risers - Bars actually feel real good where they are but little too short for any standup.

Replace the shift & brake levers - too short.

Crash bar & Skid plate

General protection around several other parts of the motor.

Bags - but not sure what type and how many yet.

Oh and center stand - definitely.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other stuff but this is probably on my short list.

Another general impression I got was that the bike is extremely torquey (as it should be with a V Twin) when it's in its sweet spot and sounds real good doing it - but sounds like a lawn mower anywhere out of it.

Whatever - doesn't bother me anyway.

Had plenty of fast bikes in my life (street & off road) so not looking to tear up the pavement (or dirt) out there.

Bike is really comfortable, and is eager to please & play - that's what appealed to me during my test ride.

Definitely feels lighter than it is and will probably end up as my main ride (I have a Valkyrie in the garage too).

Overall very pleased with the bike and will enjoy breaking it in and accessorizing it.

Oh & I forgot to read the "break in instructions" yesterday so we both were breathing kinda heavy by the time I got her home after the ride.

Anyway, looking forward to exchanging pics & stories with you guys & gals.

Thanks for reading - Adios
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suzuki Pickup.jpg (89.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Pickup 2.jpg (94.7 KB, 95 views)
Bad Dad, Bugzy, VSrider and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice! I've heard a lot of good things one this forum about the V2
IMO, go for the center stand early on, will make doing any maintenance easier, including adding new farkles (crash bars, skidplate, etc).
jrb_nw likes this.

Henry

"Rock bottom will teach you lessons that mountain tops never will..."

2016 V-Strom DL650 (red) 'Sweetness'
2011 V-Strom DL650 (white)
post #3 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Absolutely right Henry - it's at the top of my list.

Actually tried to get the Suzuki center stand at the dealer but they didn't have in stock - so figured I'd just order it and install next weekend.

Have a nice bike roller that I can use once I have the center stand installed.

After I hit the big 50 - it's a lot more all about comfort and convenience
Brockie likes this.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats on the new bike.
Lrobby99 likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks - took her out again today and I'm really enjoying the ride.

Definitely happy with bike
post #6 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Enjoy your new bike.

I liked the bike immediately after testing a KTM1190 from the same place on the same day. The KTM produced way too much rear cylinder heat as well as costing a full 50% more over here.

Centrestand, (Suzuki)panniers, crash bars and skid plate were the first 3 items I added before settling in over various rides to see what else I thought would conform the bike more to my body shape and riding style.
Bar risers, heavy duty waterproof 12V socket (runs my tyre pump), peg lowering kit, 1 1/8" rear height riser all followed in the coming year. Happy enough with the standard exhaust which gets a little noisier over time.
Three years and 35,000 kms on and its just as enjoyable as ever - (I never found the throttle response a problem).

The only thing it did develop was a noisy clutch basket which I paid to get sorted. Suzuki doesn't see it as a problem because they don't actually fail
post #7 of 21 Old 04-10-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Alfie53 - what I've come to realize over the years is that each bike is distinctly different and has its own personality.

Having said that the v Strom 1000 reminds me of a big puppy that wants to go out and play - but is a little loud and stumbling.

I actually really enjoy the bike's personality - which is one of the primary reasons I bought this over a BMW GS.

I'm not looking for perfection or a bike that kind of fixes (& hides) every mistake I make so that I can pretend to be a better rider than I am.

Just wanted something with personality that I can adapt my riding style to & vice versa.

All the clutch chatter (which it has), backfiring, idle knocking and whatever else (at this stage) is merely a bike characteristic.

If something doesn't match my riding style and I'm not really willing or able to adapt - then I'll change it (i.e. the Throttle tamer).

With regards to all the other Farkle's - we'll I'm as nuts as the rest of you and will surely go overboard - you know - give the puppy another bone
Bugzy and jrb_nw like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I thought the same thing initially about the choppy throttle. I quickly adapted my wrist and riding technique to the bike early on. Haven't given it a thought since. Rack up some miles and bond with your new bike! Great choice, BTW!

Current: '17 R1200GS Adventure, '16 DR650SE, '15 DR200S
Past: '14 DL1000A ADV, '07 DL1000, '01 K1200LTC, '89 ZX10, '81 KZ650, '75 DT400B
post #9 of 21 Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My Wee is also abrupt on/off throttle. I learnt to be more subtle with it but also found it easier when I took as much slack as possible out of the throttle cable. No recommended throttle slack for me but if you do this test the bike steering full lock to lock in neutral before riding off.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #10 of 21 Old 04-11-2017, 01:02 AM
$tromtrooper

I have a 2014 V2 and at the beginning, I was thinking of a throttle tamer. Especially just coming off a KLR650.
I was overshooting turns by using to much throttle. Or, I rolling off the throttle to quick. That with the strong engine braking was throwing me off in the other direction.
Now, I have no problem at all. The key is gentle on the throttle. Just nudge it and it goes. Once your muscle memory kicks in the problem should be eliminated.
Bugs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode