Barkbuster Storm - Installed pics? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Barkbuster Storm - Installed pics?

Got OE hand guards on my '14, and don't find they provide good wind/rain protection. When I have the levers tilted slightly downwards, which I prefer, my knuckles and back of my hand are exposed. Not looking for brush guard performance: it is solely weather protection I am after.

I know a few people have fitted Barkbuster Storms. If possible, please could someone post photos of them installed? It is the inboard end I would particularly like to see the arrangement of, rather than the bar end, er, end.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Sorry, I don't have a pic. I'm still on a BMW, but pick up my new Vee next week....

I'm running Barkbusters on my F650gs. And a buddy with a Vee (12) has had both the Bark Busters and the suzuki OEM hand guards. And per his experience, the Bark busters offer much greater wind/weather protection. It may be time to head over to his place and have a beer. If I get there, I'll snap a pic.

NNY
post #3 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I like the tusk ones. Plus they make larger covers that can be added.
SECoda likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got the OEM handguards as a Christmas gift from my son and they are not nearly as protective as the OEMs for the Gen 2 650 I had. When I added handlebar risers I was able to adjust them to be optimal for wind (with the higher handlebar position and hand angle) but now a rock could slip through from the bottom I suppose if at a steep enough angle from the ground. They now work but I wish they were wider. In my case the price was right.

Do the Barks require some extra work to install?

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 04-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I use Hippo Hands. They work great. When you don't need them they are easy to take off and put in the top box. I took a pair to South America and never needed heated grips. They make a size for dual sport and adventure bikes.

NewStrom
post #6 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage

Hope that helps. These are on my 2014 650.

2014 650 Strom
post #7 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Are the VPS Barks any better for wind protection than the OEM? They don't appear much wider than the OEM. I know there are others that are much wider. I guess the Storms or Givi are better than the VPS?

You may spend a bunch of money and not change much.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 04-06-2017 at 05:58 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 05:24 PM
shu
Stromthusiast!

I've ridden a lot of miles with Barkbuster VPS both on my DR650 and my DL650. My primary purpose for putting them on is to protect levers, controls and handlebars in a drop.

But, having said that they do offer some weather protection. It is not particularly noticeable against a cold wind but you'll get solid evidence of it in the rain. My gloves stay pretty dry for quite a while behind them - as long as I keep moving.

For cold wind/weather protection I add Hippo hands like NewmarketStrom does.

I haven't ridden much with the OEM wind guards, but I doubt that the difference in wind protection between the Barkbusters and the OEM guards is very large. There's just too much open space behind both of them that the cold air can move around in.

...........shu
SECoda and griff010 like this.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-07-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks all.

My problem with the OE guards is that their position is fixed in relation to the levers, because they anchor to the lever perch. So if - as I prefer - the levers are tilted slightly downwards, then the guards are also tilted down, and leave much of back of hand exposed to the weather. The BB Storms anchor to the handlebar independently of the lever perches, and (I hope) can be positioned to provide maximum coverage of hands. So although the actual size of the Storms is not greatly different to OE, the weather protection provided may be.

Highwayman2016 - thank you for taking the trouble to shoot and post photos of the installation on your DL650: much appreciated. That looks promising, although of course the V2 has a hydraulic clutch, so space for mountings on the clutch side is more limited.

In the winter, I fit Tucano Urbano muffs, which are great, but in the summer prefer not to have them fitted. However I live in Wales, where rain in summer is not entirely unknown! The handguards on my old R1100GS, although not much bigger than those on the Strom, kept my delicate pinkies in summer gloves completely dry; that's what I'm hoping to achieve.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Additional wind, cold, rain protection: Handguards Moose Racing

I modified them a little with additional Velcro strips. They go on/ off in a minute. Even in heavy rain, as long as I move, my hands/ gloves stay almost dry. Heated grips are much more effective if the finger tips are not hit by the wind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode