2014 dl1000 cross florida trip and thermostat question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TipsyMcStagger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2014 dl1000 cross florida trip and thermostat question

Rode the vstrom across the state of Florida this weekend. About 500 miles, alot off road, alot of sand, really, sand pits. About 75 bikes, many big bikes like GS1200's, every one dumping there bikes in the dry sand. Myself included but the vstom did well. Dumped it about 8 times, only two where while moving, the other tips overs, usually because i can't turn around on a trail, or you get to this washed out section where you need to turn and you can't get through on throttle. Give me two track with sand even occasional deep sand, im fine, but when the sand has not straight track just a bunch of crisscross sand box s, thats when it gets hairy. Problem is you may not even be able to help a guy, my buddy went down on his GS, I couldnt stop or else i would I would dump it, so, get out the way, im throttling through. That may have been the time, I rode down into a berm, oh crap, mooor throttle, got it back up onto the sand trail, stopped, looked over, tipped over. Damn.

Bike Preformed great, especially riding through a down pour on a small two track farm road, constantly hydro planing or about too, while hitting ruts and having the water come over the wind screen, couldn't slow down in fear of getting stuck. Serious slippery dirt, like were cruising at 40mph, 2nd and rd gear and not getting traction. Coudln't see anything out the face shield, flipped it up, googles were fine, just had to deal with the pain of the rain hitting your face. While ridding through the water, the force of the water was actually lifting my feet off the pegs. You never new when you where going to hit a big puddle. It was scary but great. Bike performed like a champ, may have been the tires (anakee wilds) but really makes you fall in love with the bike when you can't see and hope it keeps powering through.

I digress. Thermostat, had the bike down in sand, clutching first, putting along single track. the fan was on, I think high and low. But i never seen the thermostat above 3 tickets, maybe 4, never more than half. Weird right? about mid 80 degrees , in the hot woods, sitting in sand.

I posted on ADV rider that one of my spills, caused a few ounces of oil pill out. Picked the bike up, oil was dripping from under the tank, under the rad, onto the sand. Uh Oh, not coolant? good, so just wipped off the oil, check the oil glass, started her up and went off to continue the trip. Told a friend of mine when I caught up, we both had DRZ's, he sunk his, so we always talk about how Suzuki's are indestructible. His comment was, Suzuki's, Oil is optional. Ha. I also broke the clutch leaver, no biggy, only half of it.

Anyone feel like they lug the engine in 3rd? Im doing 40mph on the dirt 3rd gear about 4k rpm, and the engine sounds like its clattering, valves? just the drive chain? 2nd was fine but then im at 5k. Going faster remedied it, we shot down some dirt roads at 70mph but im in 4th or 5th then.

This guy on a versys 650, broke his left foot peg mount in the first half of the first day, continue to ride the rest of the day and the next with only one peg and get this, only in 3rd gear since it's all connected. Damn.

Anyway this weekend, need to take the bike apart, clean it up, change oil again and air filter(trip was dusty as hell, couldn't see the rider in front of you)

I think thats it. here a link to the trip
2017 Trans Florida Adventure Rally | Page 19 | Adventure Rider

notes,
i'm impressed by the abs, yeah it was there but barely, i think it help more than hurt.
I think another thing that makes this bike great is that it's a V twin, looked a couple africa twins and GS800, those parallels makes the front look so wide.
I need to fix the handle bars, worst thing of the whole trip was that my right wrist was killing me, I'll try raisers. oh and need foot pegs, kept slipping off and hitting my balls.
sorry didnt mean to type so much, kind of flowed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 11:32 AM

I use to have a 2009 1000. I couldn't have done what he did this weekend. I had my hands full on a Beta 450. Great weekend and enjoyed riding with you. I might have a picture or two I'll put up later in the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 R1200GSA (Betsy)
11 Beta RS 450
06 DRZ-400S
08 Piazzio MP3 250
post #3 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've never heard my fan. Advantages of a loud exhaust. People have talked about the temp bars never changing past three. Mine doesn't. Does yours? If not, no worries.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

[QUOTE=Guns;4526570]I use to have a 2009 1000. I couldn't have done what he did this weekend. I had my hands full on a Beta 450. Great weekend and enjoyed riding with you. I might have a picture or two I'll put up later in the week.

LOL, forgot you where here. what a weekend. looking forward to the next trip.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgonaut View Post
. oh and need foot pegs, kept slipping off and hitting my balls.
sorry didnt mean to type so much, kind of flowed out.
LOL - there used to be a bike - the "Combat Wombat" by Hodaka.
It was a known ball crusher. Makes me cringe just thinking about that bike - but man, would it scramble!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Anyone feel like they lug the engine in 3rd? Im doing 40mph on the dirt 3rd gear about 4k rpm, and the engine sounds like its clattering, valves? just the drive chain? 2nd was fine but then im at 5k. Going faster remedied it, we shot down some dirt roads at 70mph but im in 4th or 5th then.
Some of us have gone down to a 16 tooth front sprocket, it will add about 300rpm's to your motor at cruising speeds but it helps in the slow going and when your carrying a load (or mud)

By the sounds it this would have been just what you needed on your ride.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Some of us have gone down to a 16 tooth front sprocket, it will add about 300rpm's to your motor at cruising speeds but it helps in the slow going and when your carrying a load (or mud)

By the sounds it this would have been just what you needed on your ride.
I went up 2 on the rear.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 09:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Rode the vstrom across the state of Florida this weekend. About 500 miles, a lot off road, a lot of sand ...
I was there on my DRZ. I saw you on your VStrom. We did all the Enduro sections but either way, I wouldn't have wanted to do that ride on my Strom.

Kudos to you for slogging through it on the beast!

Tipsy
rgonaut likes this.

Givi Trekker Outback Luggage, Givi Crash Bars, Givi Hugger, Givi Kick-Stand Foot, Happy Trails Skid Plate, Suzuki Center Stand, Barkbusters, Barkbuster LED DRL's, Dynamic Motorrad LED Turn Signal Bulbs, Skene P3's w/ Stock Tail/Brake Light on IQ-160 Controller, Cree Spot/DRL's on Denali Bar w/Skene IQ-275 Controller, Kaoko Throttle Lock, In-Dash USB Power Port, EB PC-8 Aux Fuse Box, Garage Door Remote, Garmin Zumo 660LM on AdventureTech Windscreen Mount, Aprilia Tuono Mirrors, SAE Battery Tender Dongle, Bags Connection Evo-Engage Tank Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode