My new V-Strom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My new V-Strom

I've been reading here and planning for months. Last Friday I picked up my new ride, 2014 DL1000, Khaki color. Brand new leftover, they were wanting to get rid of it and I couldn't pass up the deal. A requirement for my new bike was the 90 deg V-twin. Fell in love with that engine type with my '98 Honda VTR1000. Rode that for 13 years and loved the engine and sound. What can I say, this V-Strom is so awesome, love it. Comfortable riding position, lots of torque, just great! Did first 2 mods this weekend, added gold metallic rim stripes and fabricated a new mount for the stock windscreen that raises it 3 inches. My helmet is in the sweet, calm spot now! Already on order: 1) Holeshot 17" polished pipe; 2) Soupy's adj lowering link; 3) Givi 25L tank bag; 4) OEM lower cowl and 5) touratech side stand foot. Thanks for a great site everyone, have learned a lot. Ride on!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congratulations on your new bike. Have lots of fun with that!

Ride safe!
V Strom DL650 - 2013 Riding
V Strom DL1000 - 2007 Sold
Honda Shadow 750 - 2000 Sold
post #3 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Coldstream, I'm curious about the OEM lower cowl. Do you have a pic of that to share? I bought an aftermarket one for my 06 1000 and didn't know about OEM ones. Bobby

post #4 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bobby, it's the black plastic lower cowl that comes stock on the Adventure model. Google 2014 vstrom 1000 Adventure, you'll see plenty of photos. I'll be using my Strom as a streebike so I didn't see a need for one of the aftermarket 'armored' skid plates. Plus, I never found one that looks right to me. I think the OEM cowl just makes the bike look a bit more finished. It covers up that oil filter that hangs out there in the breeze. I bought it off of Ebay.
bobbyvstrom likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Khaki

Too hip. A discerning owner. Enjoy the beast!
post #6 of 23 Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM
$tromtrooper

Black & Tan....good beer, good color

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #7 of 23 Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congratulations!!! I'm sure you'll love it!
post #8 of 23 Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I believe you got one left at Big M or was it St. Louis Power sports (they both had them)? I got a leftover red one a few months back from Big M. Ryan was my salesman. That was my second V-Strom through Ryan. I have 3000 miles on it already - in the winter none the less. This week looks like another good ride week (if you are retired).

Congrats!

I just put on a Givi rock fender I got from Motostorm in Italy directly inexpensively (actually I ordered everything Givi from them - Airflow, crash bars, tank bag, top case mount, skid and saved about $400). I ride the fire roads occasionally in southern Missouri but not true off-road. I had a rock hit the radiator on my 650 that a truck threw up on pavement so I put an oil filter and radiator guard on the DL1000. The Givi is only 1/8" riveted aluminum which isn't a real skid and very light weight but plenty for rocks (some don't like the looks since it isn't black). I bought everything direct from Italy for about 60% of US cost shipped. It takes about a week Fed Ex. Great customer support. They even send me quality questionnaires.
griff010 likes this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 02-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-21-2017, 05:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Did first 2 mods this weekend, added gold metallic rim stripes and fabricated a new mount for the stock windscreen that raises it 3 inches. My helmet is in the sweet, calm spot now! Already on order: Soupy's adj lowering link
Congrats on the new bike. Two questions, can you post a couple of photos of the screen raising doo-dad, please? And what's this lowering link?

Thanks.

When I got mine, it was used. The guy who owned it blinged and accessorisied it to the max. I worked out that it has around $6k's worth of stuff on it. Not bad for a bike that's 2 years' old, 20,000 km (or 12,000 miles) and nearly half the price of a new one.

It's pretty much got all the stuff that that "adventure" model has, but no nice topbox or tank bag. Rather, the original owner fitted these butt-ugly aluminium looking Givi Trekker Outback panniers and top box. I've removed the panniers, just looking for a decent replacement topbox, or I might just buy the rails to fit my Ventura luggage system that I had on the Blackbird. It holds more than the Givi top box, anyway.

Work to ride, ride to work...
post #10 of 23 Old 02-21-2017, 05:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congratulations. Excellent color. Wish mine was tan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode