Primary Driven Gear on Crank shaft - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Enthine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Primary Driven Gear on Crank shaft

Hi Everyone

What could be the possible damage if a the nut on the primary drive gear (the Scissor gear that bolts onto the crankshaft) is tightened too much.

Manual says 160nm but the nut has been tightened to approx. 200nm to 210nm.

Reason for this is used a one way torque wrench on a left hand threaded nut...... Thus did not realize that torque is to much and now cant get it loose. Once loosened, what could have possibly been damaged.

Did hear a funy ZZinng noise after the bike was started coming from that gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pulled threads are a possibility.
Can't get it loose, use a longer breaker bar. Heat the nut up first.
200nm is a lot. I think 83foot pounds is recommended, somewhere around 112 nm.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I doubt you hurt it but I would leave well enough alone and not try to loosen and re-torque.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
This is not the front sprocket nut we're talking about here. I take it you mean #17.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

SV 1000's have had issues with that nut coming loose. This nut holds the gear that is mounted to the crankshaft that turns the clutch basket. It is a LEFT hand thread, you are correct.

If you actually put that much torque on it, I would remove and replace it. Whatever it takes. It could have a stressed area that could crack later, and it could already have compromised the threads. Too important to just hope it is ok!

There are some listed on ebay.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm surprised the bolt could withstand that much over torquing without shearing off. I'm with realshelby on this one.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thanks Guys...Sorry for the late reply...

As per Greywolf's illustration, that is correct, the LEFT handed thread on the Crankshaft.

I took it to another place who had the right tools for the job, removed the nut and the gear (had to redo the timing after that) and no visible damage to the Crank, Gear, nut or threads... The funny Zing noise I heard was the scissor gear that was running against each other too tightly...
I really focused on the inspection on all the parts mentioned and could not see any issues

It was actually below 190 NM that it was torqued to and not as much as originally thought it was. Luckily, in greywolf's Illustration above, the Spring washer ( nbr. 18 ) was the savior in this...that was a bit bent more than required so I replaced that. But other than that...there is no other visible issues.

Motor and all other parts are running smoothly now after the rebuild and she is 100%..Better than when I got her new.

Also found the reason why the drive shaft bearing went, the chain tension on the bike was done incorrectly from the get go by the dealership where I bought it from new.... Now that I know in future how to do it, ill make sure its the right tension.
notacop and Bugzy like this.

Last edited by greywolf; 02-07-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: fix unintentional emoticon
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Glad to hear you checked it out. Worth the effort to know it won't fail you down the road!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode