Jonezin for Colour - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Jonezin for Colour

Anyone ever buy a new bike because of the colour. Really liking the yellow on the the '17-'18 models. My bike still has low enough kms to get a good trade in. Just fantasizing tho.
Am assuming the new ABS would be a good feature altho there's nothing wrong with the old one. I've had ABS kick in on hard corner braking and I'm still here. Other thing is the spoked wheels and the choice for the cheaper cast wheels. A lot of my bikes have had spoked wheels mainly because I came from the 60s and 70s era but also because of the standard on the KLR and F800GS. I do remember the big 'to do' about spoked wheel with the nay sayers spouting the disadvantages of cast on dirt. I went with cast for the money savings and ease of maintenance. And my V2 has been on the dirt a lot in the last couple of years with no bad effects. I don't do the Baha and am not prone to hard knocks so it's just fine for me.
As my exhaust and fuelling is totally modded for power my purchase would depend on total transference of all that stuff. Am assuming that nothing has changed in the engine / exhaust config? And whoever bought my bike would get a practically unused exhaust and flapper. I guess I would throw in the Oxford heated grip system as they would just be too hard to get off. Replacement for those is not a real big deal anyway.
So it's all just winter dreamin but I sure do like that yellow.

Last edited by ToadRide; 01-23-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Never bought a bike based on color, only price. Somehow though, the vast majority of my bikes have ended up being red.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 01:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Somehow though, the vast majority of my bikes have ended up being red.

Funny, when I brought my 650 home a few months ago I parked it in the garage. As I looked at my red Goldwing and red Yamaha Raider, I commented "hmmm I didn't realize how much I liked red".

post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have always wanted a yellow bike (I think it stems from as a kid I had a XR75 but I wanted the YZ80)

My bride keeps saying why don't you just buy a yellow bike and my reply is what would I want for then ???
wingstrom likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Probably cheaper and easier to just have the tank and rear spring painted or wrapped. I noticed the new bike had a black spring and black forks, although the surface of the forks feels the same as the gold colored ones.

I kind of prefer the gold forks over the black.

The spoked wheels would not be cheap to swap out though, still with the money you lost selling used, and the extra you pay buying new, it may work out cheaper to just buy new spoked wheels, assuming they would fit the M4/5/6.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I definitely did not buy my 2015XT for the color (gray only). I would have loved to have gotten one in red.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Spray cans! I bought a ZR7S Kawasaki because of the yellow color. My '89GS was yellow/black and I painted my R65LS yellow to match a helmet I bought.
Recently made my 04 Wee tan with Rustoleum
Color-rite makes good cans of paint too.
From a distance the rattle can color looks as good as factory. You can have what you want.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I painted my V2 with Plasti Dip, more for paint protection but it is quick, easy and reversible.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 06:56 PM
$tromtrooper

I get the color thing. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I too love the yellow. I have a red '14 Vee2, and would hesitate trading it is just yet, as Suzuki may come out with bigger changes to this Vstrom in a couple of years. Might be a little crazy to trade in your Vee2, only to find major changes within two years of your purchase. I say two years as that would make about 6 years from the release of the Vee2. Just my way of looking at it.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 PM
$tromtrooper

First real bike was red Honda Hawk and 50 years later still adore Honda red....just love the colour of my CBF.

Had a 23 year old ST1100 in Australia and that lovely red was still glorious,

Bought the first Wee without thinking about colour ....had the right goodies...but the all black always seemed busy....nothing to break it up tho with the agressive tread there was an industrial appeal.

sold it - missed it and couldn't resist the white - liked the look and the deal.

Had the "twins" for a while

Then sold the Burgman and wanted a thrill machine. Never heard of a CBF1000

I was finally back to the red Honda I'd wanted for years, looks, thrills and light.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 01-24-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode