Major service at 36,500 miles. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes
  • 1 Post By DerStrominator
  • 1 Post By MariusD
  • 1 Post By Bugzy
  • 1 Post By 2stroke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Major service at 36,500 miles.

My V2 is ridden quite a bit. I commute three days a week, 70 miles round trip. I also go out for 100 mile rides every weekend on Southern California fire roads and highways. I have accumulated these miles in 22 months. Needless to say the bike started to feel “loose”. Acceleration just wasn’t what it used to be.

This service fixed that feeling.

-Valve check and adjust- Exhaust valves were slightly out of spec.
-New spark plugs- Hard to find these OEM plugs, a bit expensive. Plug heads were not too dirty, probably could have gone another 8K-10K miles.
-Radiator fluid replacement.
-Clutch bleed.
-Throttle body sync, did not get rid of knocking, however idle was smoother. Still sounds like I have a case full of legos when in neutral with the clutch out.
-Wiring harness recall, some tiny green corrosion spots were found in the harness connectors. Glad I took care of this.
-New brake pads all the way around. Rear were toast. Purchased OEM pads, paid over $300, must be gold coated.
-6 hours total labor time.

Hope y’all can learn from my experience. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carbs.jpg (49.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg topend.jpg (43.7 KB, 66 views)
MariusD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for sharing. Good to know.

What do you figure all the service cost you (parts + labor). I'm putting mine off because I want to do it myself but just don't have time...
DerStrominator likes this.

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

$300 for brakes is pricey. I did my fronts myself for under $100 but of course I do not charge $100/hr for labor.

My bike needs its 24k km service done which includes valves I think. Guess I better do my own clutch and brake fluid so they do not do it and charge me for it. Can save a lot of money on those routine items with DIY.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

About $550 all in with parts and labor. I was told the Suzuki pads will last three times longer than most aftermarket pads. They are also three times more expensive! Not sure if this is true.

I have developed a relationship with my local dealer over the last few years and they gave me a huge break on labor.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

I purchased cheapie h2moto HH sintered pads all around for less than 25 bucks shipped. Happy with rears, but front felt wooden. Switched fronts to EBC HH sintered, and couldn't be happier. Worth the 65 bucks. They feel better than the stick brakes pads, which I was pleased with, and do not ever squeak, which I had problems sometimes from both of the other sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode