Hope all is well?
Wanted to join this forum for quite some time now and now I have a good reason!
.. I can also share in the awesomeness!
First off, iv'e hit a bit of a big issue which I have researched up to my neck and there isn't much about this on the DL1000A (new shape)
The big problem is that there is either something really wrong in my gearbox or one of the Output Shaft / Drive Shaft bearings went (or maybe both of the input and output shaft bearings). This is from just a look from the side and symptoms from previous, similar issues that I have read up about and taken into consideration but cannot be sure. I know for a fact though, that something has conked out in the gear box.
Here is what happened. Was out for a Sunday Run (about 120km round trip, quite a hot day) and after my last stop heading home, when I went into 3rd gear, gear indicator started flipping between gears but was still in 3rd. (6...4...3...1..5..3..etc). Then I felt a bit of a "clucking" coming from the chain. When I stopped at home, inspected the chain and saw it was a bit dirty but not extremely bad...and it was also a bit loose. Cleaned it and re-lubed it. (Chain and Sprockets were due to be done at 24000km) bike currently at 22000km.
The next day off too work, the "cluncking" was worse... Long story Short, Pulling it back into the garage, putting it in first and pulling away, a big Gush of oil just spat out from the Sprocket side. Immediately switched off and did the inspection.
After possible issues, I then changed the Front Sprocket Oil Seal, tightened the chain and lubed it again. And....with no Avail...the same issue but this time even worse (guess the tension on the chain had made it worse again. There was also no play on the shaft so wasn't to sure.....the chain tension was done to spec. Just to mention, the drive shaft turned smoothly and then after a 3/4 turn it got very stiff for half a turn and then smooth again.
1. The bearings are standard Ball bearings on the Input/output Shafts..... Will it not be a better idea to get Roller Bearings for the shafts while I am at it in replacing it? That is if it is the bearings.
2. This is a huge job as I found that the entire engine needs to be stripped to split the crank case and replace the bearings...Is there an easier way?
3. Seeing that the engine will be opened up, is there any extra mods, or upgrades (longevity or better performance mods) that can be done while the engine is open?
4. Bike is just out of warranty so no help from Suzuki South Africa on this one....if I do this my self, is there any documentation on this?
5. Lastly...I am thinking of doing this my self perhaps (I have never done such a big job on any engine, so its going to be an all newby job)
Any tips what so ever...from right at the start of dropping the engine out, removing the heads, pistons, crank, gears and the lot...
A trusted Mac that I know can do just the labor for roughly R 10 000 (about $ 720) without parts...which is a lot for me.
If I can do this myself, I will know all the ins and outs of my bike. But getting the tools (and what tools to get) to do all this will probably be just as expensive
Sorry for the huge thread, but sheesh, this is the shortest I could put it in.
Thanks in advance, much appreciated.