Cruise control on the 2014 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Cruise control on the 2014

I am interested in putting a cruise control on my 2014 1000,due to a wrist and elbow injury to my right arm. I am having a lot of pain after a short period of time. I don't know if anyone has done this or knows a company that makes a cruise control unit that would fit. Would like to have something similar to what is used in cagers (if anything like this exist). I have searched but have come up empty handed-may be due to pilot error. Anyone put one on theirs or know of anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-01-2016, 06:11 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Try this

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-...e-control.html

2014 DL1000A 2014 -
2012 DL650L2 2013 - 2014
2007 DL1000 "Bowser" 2009 - 2013

post #3 of 43 Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pilot error.
do a google search for:

stromtrooper rostra cruise control

You will find a lot of relevant info there, all be it for the older models, but should still apply.

post #4 of 43 Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

MC Cruise do one for the V2, I have it and love it but it is not cheap.

With a few skills it is quite easy to install and it stays within 1kph of the set speed so I no longer spend all my time looking at the speedo.

Motorcycle and Motorbike Cruise Controls, Throttle Locks, Speed Limiters for ATV's

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Yamaha came with one. It is the best option on the bike. I had a throttle lock on the Vee and that works pretty good...especially on flat ground. But, I will admit, I am a convert and use it more than I ever thought. I too have a gimpy wrist.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #6 of 43 Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the response guys and yes it was pilot error. I found some info on them after I posted this. However I will look at what you have sent. Rolex, I am most interested in this one. Yes it is expensive,but if it works-great. So you have it for the 2014 and it works great? Did you install yourself or have someone to do it? Likes-dislikes? I will check the others out as well.Thanks and if anyone has any more input on one I am all ears!
post #7 of 43 Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I fitted it myself to my 2014, the instructions are good and their back up is great.

In my younger days I did motor mechanics and auto electrician as my trades so for me it was quite easy to install, the set up took one email and one phone call to get it working the way I wanted.

There are multiple adjustments like how quickly it gets back to the set speed after using the brakes so some tunning to your style makes for a better ride.

It took me about 3 hours to install because of reading, then rereading and reading again but I think I could cut that time in half now I have done it one time.

If you decide to install your own send me a PM and I will give you some tips and the set up I finished with.

I love the unit much more than I thought I would, here in NSW we get a 10% fudge on the speed limit so I need to be traveling more than 10% over the limit before we get a ticket, I use my GPS and the full 10% whenever possible so this unit is a ticket saver and makes my rides more relaxing, set the speed then forget the speed and concentrate on enjoying myself.

From the factory you can increase or decrease the speed by 2kph with the push of a button just like a car but you can change that to 1kph if you wish.

Like all C/Cs it is tied into the brake light system but with this system you must use the brakes at least one time after turning off/on the ignition before it can be set, EG; if I was to pull up for fuel and ride back out onto the highway without using the brakes the unit will not set and the control LED will flash red/green, it needs to know all the systems are working before it can be set, a quick dab of the brake pedal or leaver will have things going again.

My only dislike is the throttle grip moves when the unit is making it's adjustments.

I can't see me ever not fitting one to my tourer bike after using this one.

2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
Club Lead not Club Med.

Last edited by Rolex; 12-02-2016 at 08:19 PM.
post #8 of 43 Old 12-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I can vouch for the McCruise Cruise Control as have one on my 650 .

Yeah a little pricey but worth the dollars .

I haven't had any problems with mine had it for a year and now wouldn't want to ride a bike long distances without it .

The Aussie company specializes in model specific cruise control for motorcycles .

They seem a good bunch and are open to correspondance

DL650A L3
KLR650
CB900 Bol d'Or
Yamaha Nifty Fifty ( great way of saving for university )
RD350LC
CB125twin
Farm Bike Suzuki Van Van 125
post #9 of 43 Old 12-08-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Rolex and reasonable, when you don't have the cruise control engaged ,can you tell any difference in the throttle or performance? The reason I was asking-in the instructions it said you have to get the throttle cable play right in order to make it function correctly. I have been in contact with McCruise and they are good people-have already answered several questions for me. I have also determined this might be over my head as far as installation. I am now trying to locate a mechanic that I trust and will install this product. Thanks guys!
post #10 of 43 Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

If I never told you there was a CC fitted you would never know, performs just the same as standard.

It has what could be called a "gearbox" where all the throttle cables meet and getting the pink/white wires out of the plug are the only slightly tricky parts to the install, follow their instructions closely and it all works out.

The test procedure you go through will tell you if the cable slack is good and if you know how cables work that is easy, making the outer part of the cable longer makes the inner cable shorter therefore reducing the slack or vice versa, just set up your throttle play as you would any throttle and then adjust the servo as required later, a tip for adjusting the servo is to unplug the wires and spin the whole unit, much easier than using spanners and the CC people said it was fine to do it that way there would be no problems with the inner cables.

Everything else is just plug and play although I did install the servo motor and the brain with cable ties not the Velcro supplied.

Even if you pay to have the unit installed pass on my tips to them.

2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
Club Lead not Club Med.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode