A lot of little thing about my 2014 Vstrom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
num
Stromthusiast!

A lot of little thing about my 2014 Vstrom

I had a super tenere stolen from me while I was at work, I took the insurance money and bought the V2. It's been a great machine, the lady doesn't like it because it "vibrates" / doesn't feel as sturdy.
I think after about 7000 mi it really started to open up and become a much better bike. I've been riding it bone stock except a givi case and bark busters to and from work and the occasional trip up to the catskills.
overall, It's great, a little uncomfortable in the shoulders on long distances but I have no real complaints. The stock suspension is way better than the super tenere was, not nearly as mushy.

Feel free to comment on any of this, I'm either gonna get the multistrada and sell this or farkle it and ride it around until it dies.

Stock windshield sucks but i bought an aftermarket one and it was too tall so i went back to stock and forgot about it.
The front brake shudders like mad sometimes. Anyone have this happen to them?
The engine sounds like it's full of legos but the dealer says that's normal.
over 105 MPH the bike gets a little light in the front and hard to handle.
The front wheel seems to be very squirrely, especially on tar snakes as well, I have a metzler tourance on it now and I think it's the tire. I hate it.
Has anyone replaced the plugs? I checked mine at 7000 and they are fine, not sure what all that racket is about.
What about a center stand? does getting one kill ground clearance or any other clearances? I haven't seen many.

I was buying oil for it today and the dealer saw me looking at the multistrada enduro and mentioned it is 0% for 5 years on that bike.

Does anyone have any experience on the MST over the vstrom?? Are they good commuters / tourers or just expensive for all the electronics on it ?
18000 miles between major services and everything else what a bike! but 22k is 22k no matter how you finance it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

By V2 I can only assume you mean Gen II and I will assume for the sake of this conversation that you have a the 650, but coming from a S10 you may have gone with the 1000 DL. So here goes:

Windscreen - I have the DL650 Adventure (2012) which comes with a better windscreen than the base model. The windscreen has what I call a laminar lip which is an adjustable wing at the top of the shield. I am 6'2" and with the lip adjusted correctly I get no turbulence or noise. May want to see if the Adv shield will mount up to the base model. And passenger gets no turbulence.

No front brake shudder for me. I have the ABS model, not sure if that makes a difference. Sounds like something is wrong. Have you checked with the dealer?

My engine is quiet (a little too quiet), so no rattling. Do you have a steel skid plate. Sometimes that steel sends that noise back up to you, or the bolts may be loose. When I mounted my skid plate I cut some rubber pieces to isolate the plate from the mount to avoid noises. Works good for me.

Agree with your conclusion that your front tire may just need replacing. Check inflation as well to make sure it is spot on for that tire.

I mounted a center stand on mine and it tucks up well when not deployed. Lost no ground clearance.

Hope my assumptions about what you are riding are correct, if not then just ignore, if so then I hope I provided some info that helps you out.

Lacks Self Control
post #3 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by num View Post
... or farkle it and ride it around until it dies.
then you'd be keeping the bike for loooooong time, as they don't die too easily.

Never had any issues with the front brakes. I'd look into that, sounds like somethings loose or just wrong.

I find mind pretty stable at speed, especially compared to the 650. But then again, i think i've only gone over 100 a couple of times - ya know, just as an experiment. I also have Metzler Tourances. No issues except they hum something awful when leaned even just the slightest bit. A friend also put on a Tourance and had issues. Dealer said it was a defective tire - couldn't be balanced. They are now made in China. No more need be said.

Just get the Givi Airflow windshield and don't look back. It's a HUGE improvement. Mirror extenders and/or cheap Aprilia Tuono style mirrors ($20-$30 on ebay) help too.

Ignore the manual's spark plug change interval. That's well understood among v-stromers to be ridiculously unnecessary. Iridium plugs can go 50k miles or more. I rotate primary and secondary plugs during valve checks and give them an inspection.
chirosyd and Brojon like this.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000

post #4 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

He's posting in the DL1000 2014-16 thread so assuming he has that. My 2015 DL1000A has a bit of character to the engine...I like it. Love the grunt it has from 2k rpm on up to 8k. ADV windscreen works great for me but I'm short. No brake shudder at all, you need to check tire, brake pads/rotor and steering head bearing, in that order. I want a center stand in a bad way...welcome!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #5 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I'm sure a Multistrada would be an amazing bike! I can't tell you if you should, get it or not but if you are keeping your V2 here are some thoughts:

-For me a Madstad Bracket with the stock windshield has eminated any buffeting issues (as it did on my 2006 and 2012 DL650's.)

-I used a set of one inch up and back risers after I got the brake and clutch line extenders. These mad a big difference for me ergonomically.

-I Have only noticed front brake shuddering happens when the brakes a wet or have gotten wet and sat overnight. I suspect corrosion on the pad or discs is the reason. I doubt anything can be (or should be) done about it. It dissappears quickly when dry.

-I'm over 42,000 miles on my plugs. I have a set sitting here and will check the plugs this winter and change if needed.. I doubt they will be needed. (Plus weren't needed on my 2012 DL650 when I checked at 75,000 miles but I changed them then anyway.

-I run the Tourance NEXT on the front. Bike seems happy and I have confidence in it in pretty much any condition.

-ground clearance isn't an issue for me but I would never be without a centre stand regardless. It just makes life so much easier in so many ways. My wife's Triumph Tiger 800 XRX low cannot fit a cenrestand and it is a bit of a pain for me on road trips to lube the chain with each fill-up as I do on my DL1000.

..Tom

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Last edited by V-Tom; 11-12-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Correcting stupid iPad Speel correction mistakes
post #6 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
num
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the replies,
I'll get the brake issue sorted out tomorrow, it's gotten worse with the cold weather.

It's a DL 1000A 2014 Vstrom 1000
The 650 wasn't enough for riding 2 up as often as i do.

I'll look into a madstad bracket for the windsheild.
post #7 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
num
Stromthusiast!

One other thing,

How well can this bike take electronic addons?

I want to add ports for my heated gear / GPS / Phone etc
post #8 of 28 Old 11-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by num View Post
One other thing,

How well can this bike take electronic addons?

I want to add ports for my heated gear / GPS / Phone etc
No issue for me...I run heated gear, grips, GPS, charge phone, etc. Great thing is you have a voltmeter built in...easy to monitor!

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #9 of 28 Old 11-13-2016, 01:15 AM
RazzleH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post
No issue for me...I run heated gear, grips, GPS, charge phone, etc. Great thing is you have a voltmeter built in...easy to monitor!

+1. DL1000A does it all easily. I run an extra PSI in the front tyre for a touch of added stability at higher speeds and reduce cupping/scolloping with tyre age.

There is usually another way.

Last edited by RazzleH; 11-13-2016 at 01:18 AM.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-13-2016, 03:07 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Windscreen - Someone put a cheap mod on this forum that moved the stock windscreen forward about an inch. I spent $1.75 for bolts and nuts to move it forward and have no intention of buying another windscreen. It works great.

My front brake shudders once in a while at low speeds....I don't even notice anymore.

When I had the 1st gen DL1000 I thought it was butt ugly and drooled over the duc, but I think the new Strom is the best looking Adv tourer out there.

ps. that vibration can be....entertaining..
flgolfer29 and RazzleH like this.

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode