Trekker Outback vs Dolomiti? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 11-01-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Trekker Outback vs Dolomiti?

I was just getting ready to get some new bags for my DL1000A and had pretty much decided on the Trekker Outback cases and CAM racks ordered form Italy. Now I see there's a new series, the Trekker Dolomiti. I like the silver aluminum finish, but I wonder whether I'd regret not getting the Outback cases. I've not seen the new series in person, but the pictures look good. I was planning to get a 48L and 37L combo, but I think the Dolomiti series is only available in 36L. I don't do any super long distance touring any more, but do like the look of aluminum boxes and the utility of top opening. The Suzuki cases just feel a little cheesy to me and I really don't care for the side opening and latch design.

Anybody see the Dolomiti bags in person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I liked the dolomiti cases. I had a look at them in a shop a while back and was going to get a set, then I discovered the kappa k venture panniers. Just like the trekkers but cheaper. I came off the other day on some mud and they took the fall with only a scratch on the corner and a very slight dent. Hardly any damage so they get my vote.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

This was the pannier that I landed on. I was doing 25 mph in tarmac. No real damage. I was amazed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1366_1478118046342.jpg (98.5 KB, 254 views)

post #4 of 31 Old 11-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdermagraphica View Post
This was the pannier that I landed on. I was doing 25 mph in tarmac. No real damage. I was amazed.
Hi what top case is that you have on and is there any issue with the top opening lid on the panniers hitting the top case?
any chance you might have a pic from the rear of the bike?
wondering how much clearance there is between the pannier and top case. I have an e55maxia top case which is 590mm or 23.2" approx. wide.
I looked at the Dolomiti as well, I think the Kappa Kventure are a bit more robust though,
and like that the corners are protected by the plastic pieces.

2013 SUZUKI DL650 AL2
post #5 of 31 Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I liked the dolomiti cases. I had a look at them in a shop a while back and was going to get a set, then I discovered the kappa k venture panniers. Just like the trekkers but cheaper. I came off the other day on some mud and they took the fall with only a scratch on the corner and a very slight dent. Hardly any damage so they get my vote.
So the Kappa's mount the same as the Givi's?? Same boxes just cheaper?? How or why does this happen if the same company makes both? Isn't that just cutting your own throat for the more expensive line?? I don't get it......

Garage......
Oh Yea: '17 Aprilia Tuono Factory
'14 DL1000
'02 Daytona 955ce
'87 ZL1000
'85 &'86 ZL900's
post #6 of 31 Old 11-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think they are what you'd call sister companies,kappa isn't that much cheaper, just that these kventures and Givi dolomiti mount on the existing monokey racks, (using the supplied adapter kit)
but the Givi trekker outback require the cam side racks.
Bugzy likes this.

2013 SUZUKI DL650 AL2
post #7 of 31 Old 11-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yeah. I didn't do my homework and ordered cam side racks only to find they didn't fit. But they are stronger than standard givi racks, so I bodged them to allow the k ventures to fit.
No problems with opening them when my maxima top box is on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1478246360182-149659536_1478246379530.jpg (94.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1478246392589622426032_1478246405265.jpg (95.2 KB, 96 views)
post #8 of 31 Old 11-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Yeah. I didn't do my homework and ordered cam side racks only to find they didn't fit. But they are stronger than standard givi racks, so I bodged them to allow the k ventures to fit.
No problems with opening them when my maxima top box is on.
Have you found anything that will utilise the space underneath the pannier lid? I see Givi supply a net for the purpose, part no. Givi E144

bit expensive for what it is, I 'd like to get some kind of pouch maybe velcroed under the lids, it would take a lot of the small crap I carry in the tank bag. Haven't figured out what to do with it yet, k venture panniers won't be here till next week.

2013 SUZUKI DL650 AL2
post #9 of 31 Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

bicycle shops have cargo nets that will work in the Givi lids for like 6 bucks. Not a perfect fit but fine for the use. I have the givi Trekker Outbacks 37L and really like them. survived several tip overs with no damage. Got them for a steal at probably the same Italian web site mentioned here.
post #10 of 31 Old 11-17-2016, 02:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Got my K ventures and fitted them yesterday, no problem with the left pannier lid opening with the e55 top box fitted,there is plenty of clearance, delighted with them, love the top loading,I'll look into some way of storing stuff under the lid,
I came across some other brand of pannier that had a liner for under the lid with dif zipped pouches in it,must have a look to see if I can find it again.

2013 SUZUKI DL650 AL2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode