Clutch slipping?!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-29-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Ago
Stromthusiast!

Clutch slipping?!!!

So I decided to get the bike ready for winter... since it is a nice day I figured I'd give it a wash (rare occasion!), put some stabilizer in the tank, go for a quick ride to circulate the stabilizer and warm up the oil for a good drain.

So, after a quick wash, as I head out I notice that my rpm is going up but the bike doesn't seem to move all that quickly. I pulled over to remove my ear plugs (NO idea why!), get back on the bike and there it goes again, if I twist the throttle a bit too hard the revs go up but the bike is not going.... son of a b^*ch, my clutch is slipping!

I haven't been out on the bike in a couple of weeks and the last time I was out everything was fine. All I did today was to wash the bike.
So I changed the oil to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't... still slipping.

In 35 years of ridin I have never had a clutch go on me - or even slip, so I'm in foreign territory. The bike only has 16,500Km (about 10K miles) on it, there's no way the clutch could be toast already?

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Anything I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

About the only thing I can think of is your clutch slave cylinder sticking. The clutches in these bikes is very tough and almost never known to slipping. That said, the 2014+ has a bit different inner hub, which actually applies more pressure to the clutch under higher load. Could be that it is having an issue. But, I don't think it would act up as badly as your description. There is almost NO chance you have hurt the clutch plates yet. I have yet to see that done on a DL 1000. Something ( like the slave cylinder not fully releasing ) is causing the clutch plates to not have normal pressure applied.

Any chance you installed a new clutch lever?

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 13 Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Ago
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Any chance you installed a new clutch lever?
Stock levers.
No, absolutely nothing has changed since the last time I rode... which was only a couple of weeks ago - and everything was fine then. The bike wasn't moved, or even touched. All I did today was to wash the bike.

Would removing the slave and cleaning it be worth a try?
Would chain slack have anything to do with it? (sorry, that was probably a stupid question)

I have zero knowledge when it comes to clutches... so I am at a loss right now.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

First look would be the slave cylinder pushrod. It is known to get gunk on it from the chain, and it may be stuck "in", and applying constant pressure on the clutch. Remove the slave cylinder bolts and pull the pushrod out to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard miles and Brockie like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 04:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

What sort of oil do you use?
We used to have issues with a certain brand of oil causing v twins to slip.
I don't bring it up anymore because it causes a shit storm with people who love that oil.
Could be a few things though, if you're not confident it may involve a trip to the bike doctor!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Ago
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belong View Post
What sort of oil do you use?
We used to have issues with a certain brand of oil causing v twins to slip.
No, it isn't the oil. It wasn't slipping two weeks ago and before that with the same oil in. But that was my first thought too... maybe some water got in the oil while washing the bike (highly unlikely, but I was trying to consider any possibility), so I changed the oil - it is motorcycle-specific MA-certified (not just MA-compliant as many oils claim to be). But that didn't make any difference.

I'm going to pull the slave off, as soon as I have some time, and see if there might be any problems there...
post #7 of 13 Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Check the pushrod that goes into the engine as recommended earlier while you are in there. At your mileage I wouldn't think there is that much build up, but you need to be sure.
Brockie likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Ago
Stromthusiast!

Realshelby you were spot on!
There was a chunk of dirt sticking to the pushrod that kept it from moving freely and fully disengaging the clutch. It was getting stuck on the plastic sprocket-cover that also goes around the pushrod. I guess washing the bike and wetting the 'greasy chunk of dirt' made it more prone to sticking.

Thanks for your help...
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2016, 03:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are a few posts on here from people that have made covers for the pushrod.

I made a pushrod cover and also removed the plastic sprocket cover to help keep things clean.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I check that area every oil change, but on the 650 it is "much easier" and quicker than on the 1000. Do away with sticky gooey chain lube, highly recommend "original bike spirits" or the "Dupont chain saver".

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode