Givi Outback - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Givi Outback

Considering Givi Outback 37L side cases for my 2014 1000. I'm concerned that since I'm older and less flexible these days, I may have a problem getting on and off the bike. Anybody have a set of these installed? Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moglink View Post
Considering Givi Outback 37L side cases for my 2014 1000. I'm concerned that since I'm older and less flexible these days, I may have a problem getting on and off the bike. Anybody have a set of these installed? Thanks for your feedback.
A fully loaded bike can be a little tricky to get on with Panniers for sure, at any age. My method is to stand next to bike, lift my right leg high enough to grab the suit fabric at the bottom with my right hand, left hand on the grip, then I lift my leg straight over the seat. Very easy to do. Not very glamorous, but it works.

It is also possible to put your left foot on the peg and stand on it, then you have lots of room to swing a leg over the panniers and seat, but you need to be very careful not to knock the bike over doing this, so do everything in slow motion. Practice this one at the next bike show.

One other caution on either method, be sure you don't tip the bike over to the right when you settle down in the seat, if your bike is not leaning far enough to the left before you start due to right slanting ground (very common when you stop on right side of road), then this is easily done.
2thDr likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm 5'7" and use the Outbacks. I get on like a horse: left hand on left bar, left foot on left peg, step up and swing right leg over. Easy! And the Outbacks are sweet boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Always had room to throw the leg over so it never occurred to me to grab the pant leg- will try tomorrow. Thanks
dovetailredux likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

They are pricey boxes so I didn't want to spend the money and then regret it. Glad to hear you are happy with yours. Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

I hope you're looking at Motostorm.it for the best price. I have been very pleased with them for several purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bugzy likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

As installed stock, these boxes sit pretty high. Somewhere in this forum there is a thread by ravetech that shows how to make some plates that lower the boxes about 1.25". Very easy to do -just cutting and drilling some pieces of thin plate. Works great-big help.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a set of the 37ltr Trekkers and usually have a bag strapped to the rack/seat. At 6'3" sometimes getting the legs over is tough. I do have a center stand and use it most of the time, it is very easy to step on the peg and slide the leg over. Then just rock off of the center stand.

2014 DL1000
2006 DL650
2005 WR450F
1984 XR500R
post #9 of 14 Old 11-10-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Update: I pulled the trigger after getting positive feedback from you guys. Best USA price I could find on the Outback 37L boxes in black was $735. Revzilla was $882. Got the mount then found out the boxes were backordered- possibly to January. So, per recommendations, I took a look at Motostorm.it. Was iffy on buying from overseas due to import fees and lack of recourse if there were a problem. Did a bunch of research and found tons of positive feedback on Motostorm. Also found lots of guys who had not been charged import fees on the aluminum boxes but had been nailed for plastic ones and clothing. The rules are crazy but that's how it goes.

Started feeling pretty good about it. Went to Motostorm and saw the boxes in the outlet section for $535 plus flat $35 for shipping. So I placed the order on Sat 10/29 knowing they normally ship in 7-8 days. Was notified Fri 11/4 that they had shipped FedEx and should be delivered Fri 11/11. Got them today Weds 11/9. That's 11 calendar days, start to finish, from Italy to my doorstep on the edge of the Olympic forest. Shiny and new. Amazing. Add the $165-312 savings and I'm a happy guy.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Anyone considering buying Givi outbacks should take a look at advrider.com while doing research. Some guy wrote a very informative post on the boxes, Motostorm and the import rules. Sorry to mention a different site here but that post was very useful and he was riding a V strom as well. Thanks again for the tip.
blz2dwl and Bugzy like this.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Everyone had better get everything they want from Italy before Trump and his loonies get in and mess it all up. You know it's coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode