Sleepytime Time and the Winter Projects. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sleepytime Time and the Winter Projects.

Looks like El Nino is doing it for our region. I have both my bikes insured till the end of the month and the last couple of days riding has been at the freezing marks in beautiful fall weather with all the glorious colours. But this morning the Wrath of El has approached. miserable rain and wind. And lots more to come.
So the young filly is going down for the long sleep.
So, altho the V2 is the kind of bike that lacks the need of winter projects, I will give her the once over anyways. My plans are;
1. Complete teardown, less engine. All body parts and protection removed and cleaned.
2. Front and rear wheels removed cleaned, inspected with bearings removed cleaned inspected, repacked. Rear Karoo retired and partially used Mitas 07 replaced. Front Mitas at about 14000kms and doesn't look half worn! Rear 'rebalanced with Dynabeads. (those things work great!)
3. Front headlight, gauges, forks removed. Brake pads inspected, calipers get the toothbrush treatment.
4. Closer inspection of that one break line that altho freed up still gets a kink when handlebar fully extended. May replace the hard line and move the square box connector to alleviate that pinch.
5. Rear shock and swingarm removal. Swingarm bush and bearing clean and repack. Toothbrush treatment.
6. Sidecover, clutch piston, removal, toothbrush treatment.
7. Rad drain and removal. Bug cleanup in all that area.
8. Valve cover removal and clearance check. If anything is getting near end of tolerance I will replace.
9. Complete re and re of all fluids.
10. Every nut and bolt torque inspected.
11. TB sinc and the rest.
12. Consider going Desert Camo. I have the tan, might add some stuff to the black parts.

That's all I can think of for now.
2thDr likes this.

Last edited by ToadRide; 10-13-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Motorcycle love for sure...admire your abilities to do all that yourself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #3 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post
Motorcycle love for sure...admire your abilities to do all that yourself.

Admire his ability? No kidding. By about #4, I thought he had started to write in Outer Mongolian...

Kudos to you @ToadRide . Perhaps one day we can meet up... and you can explain exactly what you've done.

2011 Wee-strom and loving it.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommoran View Post
Admire his ability? No kidding. By about #4, I thought he had started to write in Outer Mongolian...

Kudos to you @ToadRide . Perhaps one day we can meet up... and you can explain exactly what you've done.
Many Canucks that I have met online are very good with this kind of maintenance...long distances to reputable shops and riding in sand/salt/rain cultivates good motorcycle maintenance mechanics...

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #5 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Dang that's overkill, but y'all do have a long winter up there.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Oh comeon guys. It's just wrenchin. But, like i said Big B. she 'lacks the need', should pick up an old Triumph like this head banger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BonnieRestor.jpg (82.0 KB, 32 views)
eagleeye likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Wowzer, now that's a list. What year/model is your bike?

I've got springs and seals that I got from Jay at Sasquatch, to put in mine this winter sometime, ( really looking forward to my front end working like it should) and will for sure need to check/replace brake pads. Should really pop the tank and replace the air filter to. And maybe get rid of that HOWLING 705 front tire. Also going to do a second mod on my seat.

Also going to take the front end off of my RSTD and put some lowering slugs in it, and of course new fluid in both bikes.

But here in Wisconsin, we should have some great riding days left this fall.

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
post #8 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
2. Front and rear wheels removed cleaned, inspected with bearings removed cleaned inspected, repacked.
OEM wheel bearings are sealed, so no need to repack them. Also, even a conventional bearing I don't believe is serviceable once removed, as the act of pulling it out can damage it. It should be sufficient to remove the wheels and check the bearings with your finger to make sure they're smooth and have no play.

One bearing that you should definitely check and may need to grease is the sprocket carrier bearing. On previous generations at least, it was not fully sealed and would be toast in 30k miles of all-season riding unless attended to. I have replaced it twice, the second time with a fully sealed bearing. When they go out, they cause rapid wear to the cush drive rubbers, chain and sprockets.
pvwheeler likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ya, I was wondering just how may bearings can actually be serviced. Steering race is one. Needles in the swing arm?

Oh, and 2014 w/30000kms. I am painfully aware that the Strom is like the Eveready Bunny. It just keeps my hands from going crazy.
Big B likes this.

Last edited by ToadRide; 10-13-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

That sounds like a great way to get rid of the dust/dirt that ends up in places you cannot get to with a rag or brush, but a huge amount of work.

Maybe paint the frame while it is apart too? You could do a contrast color instead of black, might look cool. The paint on this bike isn't the greatest anyways.

I have new brake pads on order, so will do the toothbrush on those parts. I may rewire my Aux lights with a properly routed black cable instead of white. I also picked up a length of nylon wire sleeve which I may install to run all my wires through from front to battery, just for protection. Not much else needed I think.

It will be going in for it's 24k service as soon as the parts are ready at the dealer, I think they have an ECM on order for me, but not entirely sure. I complained about the bike stalling sometimes when I am out in the dirt, which can be dangerous.

Good luck with your mods, post up anything interesting you find, maybe you can find other chafing wires or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode