Best skid plate, centerstand, crash bars combo - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
I would avoid the Givi skid plate if you plan on any off road. They bend like aluminum foil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1476216186767.jpg (15.5 KB, 90 views)
2stroke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
I beat the hell out of both sides and crushed bottom up against exhaust. I just ordered an Enduro Guardian. Proper skid plate with a lifetime warranty.
2stroke is offline  
post #23 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
I beat the hell out of both sides and crushed bottom up against exhaust. I just ordered an Enduro Guardian. Proper skid plate with a lifetime warranty.


2stroke is offline  
 
post #24 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
I'm happy with Givi Crash bars and OEM center stand though.
2stroke is offline  
post #25 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
2stroke is offline  
post #26 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
Best skid plate, centerstand, crash bars combo

Plus, as you can see, it uses rivets that snap the first time you make contact. Just fortunate that I didn't punch a hole in my crank case.
2stroke is offline  
post #27 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
SECoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Missouri - Ozarks
Posts: 12,492
My off-road consists of groomed gravel roads and fire roads that are dirt/rock combo but in pretty good shape. Other folks are often with me with less capable bikes. If I did true off-road like that I would have a dirt bike again. I just want to prevent thrown rocks from puncturing the oil filter and chipping the finish mainly. My Weld86 skid on my 650 is just dirty on the bottom (maybe a few minor rock nicks) with 11,000 miles and maybe 600-700 miles are unpaved roads. I would say no to nylon and the Weld86 looks maybe twice as thick as that but I like the light weight. My plan is to not have the skid plate come into contact with jagged rock.

Any noise reflection like the Weld86's have?

What is the clearance from the lowest Givi skid point to the ground on pavement?

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 10-11-2016 at 04:41 PM.
SECoda is online now  
post #28 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bugzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,104
The Givi skid plate attaches to your engine casing doesn't it, that can't be good.

My happy trail plate had a workout on my last two rides, on one I got hung up on a log on top of it and had to be pushed off. On the way back I went over it at speed and slid across it and clear with no issues. Yesterday I was doing a mountain climb with large rocks, deep ruts and potholes etc, and my skidplate was hitting all over the place. Lots of scratches on it now, but the bike is fine. It mounts at the back to the center stand bolts, and the front attaches to my Givi bars, so nothing touches the engine. it is also a very solid plate.
2thDr likes this.
Bugzy is offline  
post #29 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
SECoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Missouri - Ozarks
Posts: 12,492
Can you post a picture? Thanks!

Do you have a centerstand with it on those trails? I wonder what centerstand(s) work with it?

It looks like they support highway pegs? I wonder if the other skids do?

It looks like you need a mount kit to which kicks up the price a bit.
http://www.happy-trail.com/find-your...kid-plate.html

This is good. I won't be ordering for about a week so by then I will be totally up in the air. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
The Givi skid plate attaches to your engine casing doesn't it, that can't be good.

My happy trail plate had a workout on my last two rides, on one I got hung up on a log on top of it and had to be pushed off. On the way back I went over it at speed and slid across it and clear with no issues. Yesterday I was doing a mountain climb with large rocks, deep ruts and potholes etc, and my skidplate was hitting all over the place. Lots of scratches on it now, but the bike is fine. It mounts at the back to the center stand bolts, and the front attaches to my Givi bars, so nothing touches the engine. it is also a very solid plate.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 10-11-2016 at 04:51 PM.
SECoda is online now  
post #30 of 141 Old 10-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bugzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
Can you post a picture? Thanks!

Do you have a centerstand with it on those trails? I wonder what centerstand(s) work with it?

It looks like they support highway pegs? I wonder if the other skids do?

It looks like you need a mount kit to which kicks up the price a bit.
Happy Trails DL1000 2014+ V-Strom Skid Plate

This is good. I won't be ordering for about a week so by then I will be totally up in the air. lol

This is the Happy Trails plate. I have the OEM center stand, I liked it because it has that reinforcement bar. I had a stand without that bar on my last bike and it ended up bending.

Bugzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome