Who would be interested in a custom ECU flash... Show of hands - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

View Poll Results: Would you consider a custome ECU flash?
Yes sign me up... 5 20.83%
Likely, but would like to see results first... 13 54.17%
No, bike is fine the way it is... 6 25.00%
Undecided.... 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Who would be interested in a custom ECU flash... Show of hands

Looking to gauge interest in who might be happy in the ability to have the ECU flashed to ones specific desires. If we got a decent showing of interest here on the site we could likely convince Guhl Motors to take one or two bikes in for development, and create specific tunes. I have used their services before (2010 VFR1200) and the results were dramatic.

Some of the features they could include as options (of course they would need to take a look at the ECU first):

- Fuel mapping to your specific mods (Intake, exhaust, header etc)
- Mapping to consider your climate/elevation
- Possibly flashing newer version ECU mapping over earlier variants
- Raised Idle
- Rev limiter adjustment
- Traction Control switchable at all speeds
- Any thing else you can think of?

There prices range from $275 - $350 or so, and their return shipping time was insanely fast the last time I used them.

Guhl Motors - ECU Reflashing and More

We would need a couple people who are interested that live in the Ephrata PA area, or are willing to travel there so they could use your bike for development. Not sure how long it would take, but winter is coming anyways It would be likely you would get some type of discount but I cant speak for sure as that would be up to them.

Again this is just a poll to see who might be interested, if we get a decent show of support we could convince them to give our bike a shot. I think it would be worth it.

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red

Last edited by symbiotix; 09-20-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 10:29 AM
fig
Stromthusiast!

Need more top end, tune for low octane (most small towns don't have high octane and if you ride in the stix where do you usually get fuel? ...small towns), tune for specific pipe and air filter is great!

Owner needs access to tweak and monitor things like: Coil dwell, idle air control valve, idle fuel trim, when the fan activates, should be able to scan all the sensors, read codes, reset tps and as you said raise rev limiter. I'm sure there are alot of other things that would be nice to have access to but can't think of them right off hand.

I bet the could work in shift assist and possibly cruise control ...well maybe not cruise this isn't a ride by wire bike is it.

Last edited by fig; 09-20-2016 at 10:50 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

And again the age old question. Can u? Or can't u? Suzuki dealer says no. Not flashable.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
And again the age old question. Can u? Or can't u? Suzuki dealer says no. Not flashable.
I think they're kinda bound to say that. Inviting aftermarket programming and the like opens them up to liability, for working to bypass emissions equipment and settings.

For the record: I know little of how alternate mapping would affect my machine, so at this point I'd have to pass. I'll let more tech-savvy guys be the vanguard and I'll benefit from their trial-and-error.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 PM
fig
Stromthusiast!

I'd be happy to volunteer my bike for use. I know first hand the benefits of custom maps. I have a 2002 Aprilia Caponord that was tuned lean to meet emissions. A guy came up with a custom map for 87 octane, k&n air filter, no cat open exhaust, and lets the owner have access via Tune ECU. Hooks up to laptop or android phone via cable or Bluetooth and have access to alot of tuning capabilities. Turned the bike into 145 mph wheelie monster. This is a 575 lb. Bike wet.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm thinking no ECU performance shop ever bothered to think twice about learning to flash the computer for a V-strom. Probably wasn't worth the time and money.

-John
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 PM
fig
Stromthusiast!

FYI:

That link is bogus. My Norton just blocked an attack when I clicked it.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
FYI:

That link is bogus. My Norton just blocked an attack when I clicked it.
Hmmm works fine for me.. Norton can be silly though.

NyMeTsFaN912:

I would have thought the same, but they made a custom tune for the VFR1200 which has a fraction of the riders the Vstrom has. You could pick an choose any option you wanted.

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red
post #9 of 12 Old 09-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd go that route.

Last edited by BradA34; 09-20-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Edited to say: I'd want to try it.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Interested. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode