Clunking into 1st Gear - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Clunking into 1st Gear

Maybe it's my imagination, but my 2014 Vee2 seems to doing more of a clunk/lurch than it used to do when I go into first gear from neutral at a stop. I've been doing more riding around town lately, so this could just be that I'm stopping more at traffic lights and am noticing it more than usual.

Anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas out there about what might be going on? Transmission is otherwise behaving itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've got a 650, and I notice the clunk of the transmission into 1st depends a lot on when I grab the clutch before the gear. At a stop, if I pull the clutch right before (1/2 second or less) flicking to 1st the clunk and lurch is noticeable; so much so, I think that it really can't be good for the gears. If I wait 2-3 second, the clunk is still there, but barely noticeable; it's just right. On the flip side, if I have the clutch in for 5 seconds or more, it will sometimes not even shift into gear as all the gears and stuff have stopped spinning... a real pain in the arse when you need to get going in a hurry, cause I gotta pop the clutch shift in the < 1/2 second range to get going quick.

Maybe not at all the same as your 1000, just my accidental observation with mine that may be similar to you.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Generally the clunk you experience is a result of the clutch plates not releasing fully.

A few thoughts:

-Most safety people would suggest you leave the bike running in gear when you are stopped so that you can move if the need arises

-Our bikes have multi plate wet clutches. They tend to drag a bit always and this is most noticeable when they are cold

-The DL650 has a cable actuated clutch and a mechanism for adjusting the slack. Some things that apply to the DL1000 do not apply to the DL650

If your DL1000 is experiencing MORE clunk than it used to there are a couple of things you may do.

-You might try bleeding the Hydraulic line to get rid of any possible air bubbles.

-Your slave cylinder may be leaking

-one or both of the pushrods may be worn down so that they do not release the clutch fully.

..Tom
billteugene likes this.

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sometimes an oil change can do wonders for smoothing out shifts...

Can we start an oil thread here? 😋

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #5 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
ut::mad:
Big B, V-Tom, Kelly2012 and 1 others like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #6 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Check the adjustment of the cable. Sometimes just a tiny adjustment can help.

Oil. Yes, I know. But even the best-rated most-expensive synoil doesn't solve this entirely (ask me how I know this).

Design. All Japanese-format cycles with engine-transmission units and wet multiplate clutches do this. I've had Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, one Kawasaki. EVERY ONE does this to a greater extent or another. The only one that did NOT was my BMW, with an automotive-style single-plate dry clutch. Want to know what a clutch costs to replace on one of those?

Here where I live, most lights at major intersections are ungodly long. I just get around this by, not using N but shutting the engine down. Hit the Kill switch, and fire the (warmed-up) engine as the light finally does start cycling.

Please spare me the "DANGEROUS!" flame-fests. I've made my decision on this. You're free to keep your engine idling, in gear, holding the clutch in for six minutes at long lights if that's your pleasure. I have Carpal-Tunnel and can't do that comfortably. Nor is sudden escape from an unfolding mess behind, likely. Few riders do, or can, remain at 100-percent alertness at all lights, all the time, every time.

But the jump and BANG!! when engaging, is one of those characteristics of this design. I'm sure it's not good; but there's not a spate of Japanese motorcycles in shops getting new gear clusters, either.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Check the adjustment of the cable. Sometimes just a tiny adjustment can help.

Oil. Yes, I know. But even the best-rated most-expensive synoil doesn't solve this entirely (ask me how I know this).

Design. All Japanese-format cycles with engine-transmission units and wet multiplate clutches do this. I've had Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, one Kawasaki. EVERY ONE does this to a greater extent or another. The only one that did NOT was my BMW, with an automotive-style single-plate dry clutch. Want to know what a clutch costs to replace on one of those?

Here where I live, most lights at major intersections are ungodly long. I just get around this by, not using N but shutting the engine down. Hit the Kill switch, and fire the (warmed-up) engine as the light finally does start cycling.

Please spare me the "DANGEROUS!" flame-fests. I've made my decision on this. You're free to keep your engine idling, in gear, holding the clutch in for six minutes at long lights if that's your pleasure. I have Carpal-Tunnel and can't do that comfortably. Nor is sudden escape from an unfolding mess behind, likely. Few riders do, or can, remain at 100-percent alertness at all lights, all the time, every time.

But the jump and BANG!! when engaging, is one of those characteristics of this design. I'm sure it's not good; but there's not a spate of Japanese motorcycles in shops getting new gear clusters, either.
This is the 2014+ DL1000. There is no clutch cable to adjust. There is no clutch adjustment apart from a very minor adjustment of the reach of the clutch lever.

The little bit of minor bang you get when you engage a Wet clutch is not what is being talked about here but rather an increase in the normal banging which suggests the clutch is now dragging even more than normal. (I have put over 342,000 km/212,000 miles on DL650's plus other previous bikes so I am very familiar with normal clutch operation.) The reason for the excessively loud clunk when engaging the clutch is the same as a DL650 with a poorly adjusted clutch, but the solutions are not as simple because the clutch is actuated hydraulically. (And cable adjustment is not the way to adjust the clutch on the DL650 but yes you do need the correct slack in the cable.)

As far as turning off the bike when stopped: I often do it at long construction delays but will keep a sharp eye on what is going behind me and even then I might leave the ignition on with the engine stopped so that a quick tap of the starter fires it up.)

..Tom

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #8 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
Generally the clunk you experience is a result of the clutch plates not releasing fully.

A few thoughts:

-Most safety people would suggest you leave the bike running in gear when you are stopped so that you can move if the need arises

-Our bikes have multi plate wet clutches. They tend to drag a bit always and this is most noticeable when they are cold

-The DL650 has a cable actuated clutch and a mechanism for adjusting the slack. Some things that apply to the DL1000 do not apply to the DL650

If your DL1000 is experiencing MORE clunk than it used to there are a couple of things you may do.

-You might try bleeding the Hydraulic line to get rid of any possible air bubbles.

-Your slave cylinder may be leaking

-one or both of the pushrods may be worn down so that they do not release the clutch fully.

..Tom
Good ideas, thanks.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

AS some 650 experiences have been mentioned I'll make my observation that occasionally my 650 will go into first after a cold start with absolutely no clunk, as smooth as a hot knife through butter, but when warmed up always clunks into first. My Honda CX with a multi plate wet clutch is always noiseless into first.

Current Bikes
2005 DL 650 - 118,500km
1972 Suzuki T350 - about 105,000 miles (including 2 Castrol 6 Hour Races)
1982 Honda CX500EC - 260,500km
All owned from new
post #10 of 15 Old 09-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
This is the 2014+ DL1000. There is no clutch cable to adjust. There is no clutch adjustment apart from a very minor adjustment of the reach of the clutch lever.

The little bit of minor bang you get when you engage a Wet clutch is not what is being talked about here but rather an increase in the normal banging which suggests the clutch is now dragging even more than normal. (I have put over 342,000 km/212,000 miles on DL650's plus other previous bikes so I am very familiar with normal clutch operation.) The reason for the excessively loud clunk when engaging the clutch is the same as a DL650 with a poorly adjusted clutch, but the solutions are not as simple because the clutch is actuated hydraulically. (And cable adjustment is not the way to adjust the clutch on the DL650 but yes you do need the correct slack in the cable.)

As far as turning off the bike when stopped: I often do it at long construction delays but will keep a sharp eye on what is going behind me and even then I might leave the ignition on with the engine stopped so that a quick tap of the starter fires it up.)

..Tom

I didn't check which bike. Just hit on the NEW POSTS.

Is the hydro-clutch self-adjusting in linkage? If it is...you've got a lot of work, finding if you've got a leaking master or slave or if your internal adjustments are out of spec.
V-Tom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2014+ dl1000a , clutch , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode