V2 Valve check/adjust questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-28-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lakeport California
Posts: 37
V2 Valve check/adjust questions

I'm getting ready to do my first valve check/adjust on my 2014 DL1000A. I have experience adjusting shim-under-bucket valves, so I don't expect any problems.

A couple of questions:

Can someone verify for me that the V2 uses 9.48 mm valve shims as were used in the previous DL1000?

Does anyone who has done a valve adjustment on this bike have any hints, warnings or advice about what to watch out for? Ways to make things easier (bodywork/tank removal or anything else)?

I have a shop manual, which looks pretty comprehensive.

Thanks,

Michael
michael95453 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Glendora,Ca
Posts: 279
Remove as much of the body work as able to just make your life easier.
You will also have to drain the coolant to be prepared to do that as well in order to get to the front Cyl.

Also this is a very good time to dielectric grease all the plugs etc you are able to get to.

Depending on the mile replacing the plugs might be a good idea, if nothing else grease the plug boots and whatnot because over time they get stuck in the heads a little and tear when you remove them.

I would spray WD40 into the sparkplug well before removing anything the help prevent tearing of rubber. Just a couple shots and wiggle stuff around abit so it can work itself in there.


Dont go crazy with it..

A signature
sdmdm8 is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
ToadRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nelson BC
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
I'm getting ready to do my first valve check/adjust on my 2014 DL1000A. I have experience adjusting shim-under-bucket valves, so I don't expect any problems.

A couple of questions:

Can someone verify for me that the V2 uses 9.48 mm valve shims as were used in the previous DL1000?

Does anyone who has done a valve adjustment on this bike have any hints, warnings or advice about what to watch out for? Ways to make things easier (bodywork/tank removal or anything else)?

I have a shop manual, which looks pretty comprehensive.

Thanks,

Michael
How many miles?
ToadRide is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lakeport California
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
How many miles?
15,000 miles; 20 months since new.
michael95453 is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 08-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
ToadRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nelson BC
Posts: 1,041
I would not bother. I think you would find at 50000 miles, not much would have changed.
ToadRide is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 08-30-2016, 12:51 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
This is the first check though. Until that is done, changed from what? You need the first check to get an idea of where things are to begin with. The first check is the most important and 15,000 miles is the time to do it. Once it is done, you'll know how close to minimums the settings are and get an idea as to how long until the next check is needed. 9.48mm is the correct size.
Big Mike 2009 likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
cwjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: wilmington,il (motorcycle hell)
Posts: 251
Is this any different than the valve adjustment on the V1 ?
cwjb is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
Getting the tupperware off is different but the engine work looks to be the same.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lakeport California
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
I would not bother. I think you would find at 50000 miles, not much would have changed.
I don't consider it a bother to maintain my bike.
michael95453 is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 08-31-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lakeport California
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
This is the first check though. Until that is done, changed from what? You need the first check to get an idea of where things are to begin with. The first check is the most important and 15,000 miles is the time to do it. Once it is done, you'll know how close to minimums the settings are and get an idea as to how long until the next check is needed. 9.48mm is the correct size.
Thanks greywolf, for the straightforward, non-judgmental, informative answer.
michael95453 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome