Rear Silver rack is PLASTIC! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rear Silver rack is PLASTIC!

I have a 2014 DL1000 with GIVI Outback panniers on it. A year ago a friend said that it looked loose. I checked it and it was tight but the center pannier did bounce a bit.

I finally took a good look at it and thought I would add some additional metal support under it to stiffen it up. So I drilled into it to add the supports and found it to be plastic! Even with the metal supports added it never felt solid.

The whole rack moves no matter what you do. Does anyone know of a steel rack that I could replace it with?

I think it sucks that Suzuki would do that. I might have to get a BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom N Me View Post
I finally took a good look at it and thought I would add some additional metal support under it to stiffen it up. So I drilled into it to add the supports and found it to be plastic! Even with the metal supports added it never felt solid.

The whole rack moves no matter what you do. Does anyone know of a steel rack that I could replace it with?

Well, my 2014 BMW RT has.....a plastic rack......

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lots of polymer pistols out there too.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hepco & Becker note the same problem, that the rack may bend or otherwise break from too much weight. They even went as far as making an additional support strut just for this problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (28.8 KB, 79 views)
Supatramp and We2V2 like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMachines View Post
Hepco & Becker note the same problem, that the rack may bend or otherwise break from too much weight. They even went as far as making an additional support strut just for this problem
Part number please. Australian site does not show that.

Tom R

"No Fear" just means you are not going fast enouh yet. life begins when you get outside that comfort zone.
Current rides
18 Busa
14 Vee2
13 Husky TR 650 Terra
08 Busa(now sold)
07Vee1(now sold)
02 Busa (sold)
97 TLs
97 TRX
92 NSr
Current Projects
38 BSA Goldie
Upcoming projects,perhaps by the time I get retired just maybe
83 GSX11(gunna be bought forward now as I don't have a going across frame 4)
71 A100
post #6 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrux View Post
Part number please. Australian site does not show that.

Tom R

I will buy that in a heart beat! Let us know the part number please!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, rack is disgrace, they could have saved $$ on all the plastic shit they drape around the fuel tank (*) and supported the rack a bit better
At least while its flexing it isnt breaking.. I reinforced our rack with a plastic chopping board and some bolts and spacers, then I had a sensible surface to mount the top box mounting plate to

(*) Pet WTF?? Why make the fuel tank smaller, then wrap it plastic to make it bigger??
billteugene likes this.

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I have a 2014 DL1000 with GIVI Outback panniers on it. A year ago a friend said that it looked loose. I checked it and it was tight but the center pannier did bounce a bit.

You didnt notice the rack was made from "soft" alloy when you bought the bike I assumed ours was alloy also..till I grabbed it confidently (in the showroom) boy was I pissed at Suzuki! Flagship Adventure bike, newest greatest thing Suzuki had on the market...bloody plastic!! GRRRR
FWIW I see topboxes flapping about on bikes all the time-the riders unaware! so i just learnt to ignore ours,just pretend its not flapping about! from time to time I look to see if its still there..so far so good I rode on a VERY rocky shithouse trail recently, and SteveC was behind... he made particular comment as to the amount of movement the top box had flapping around on the pissy plastic rack!
After the rack surviving that day, i have confidence in it - at least as far as not snapping. while its bending it aint breaking.
Though I expect 99% of purchasers would have been expecting an alloy rack. I havent seen the factory top box mounting kit...but I bet it has supporting brackets!

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Givi also make a top box mount with bracing for the DL1000 2014+ - pn SR3105

There is also a Givi version with an aluminium mounting plate which doesn't look as bulky - SRA3105.

DL1000A 2014
previously DL650K6
post #10 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

yup

Quote:

Which is one of the big reasons I bought my older model DL650 - rock solid OEM metal rear rack.

Current Bike: 2007 ABS Wee, rebuilt forks with Cogent DDC, Elka rear shock, tapered roller steering stem bearings, fork brace, Admore top box lights, LED side-only turn indicator lights, Powerlet outlet, frame sliders, Givi windscreen, Givi top box.

Prior Bikes: 2003 EX250, 2007 DL650 (non-ABS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode