New Terry Adcox Seat Review - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

New Terry Adcox Seat Review

I was so excited when I got home yesterday. USPS had a big package at my door; my new seat from Terry's Custom Seats (by Terry Adcox). I put it on and did about a hundred miles and was very happy.

A little about me, I ride about 15K miles a year on my three bikes (DR650, V2, and a Road King). I ride a mix of distance and touring, ADV (back roads & trails), and commuting. I tend to alternate bikes a lot. I didn't hate my stock V-Strom seat, but I didn't love it either. I had an Alaskan Sheepskin on it and it made it much more livable, but I wanted to buy a new seat before an upcoming Iron Butt.

I did a bunch of research and looked at buying a seat from one of the big boys at about $450 +/- or an aftermarket seat for around the same amount of money; but I kept seeing people posting about this guy Terry Adcox.

I gave Terry a call and took way too much of his afternoon up, but enjoyed talking to him. Terry is a motorcycle guy; he is a dedicated rider, he has done the dealership thing, and now he and his wife Debi have a business making custom seats for other motorcycle riders. Terry is an adult, his seats have many reviews (all positive), he has spend decades riding and in the time I spent talking to him I knew that I could trust him to make the right seat for me. His prices are about 2/3 of what I was seeing elsewhere, so after talking to Terry and reading reviews I pulled the trigger and put down my deposit on a new seat.

Terry requests that you send some pictures of you on your bike and that you fill out a questionnaire with information about you, your ride, and your expectations so he can build a seat best to suit you. He can then build on your seat (core) but he also has some cores available in his shop so you don't have to miss any riding because your seat is in his shop. If he has a core for your bike, he builds your seat, ships you the seat, you ship him back your seat, he refunds your core deposit. Terry (actually Debi) will take all of your information, and give you an estimate of when your seat will be built; she told me I would have about a five week wait, but Terry got it done a week early.

In summary I love my seat. I will send an update when I get more miles in the saddle, but my initial impression is that I will be able to ride comfortably for more hours in the saddle during long distance events and commuting without impacting the rest of my motorcycle activities. Terry & Debi are good folks to work with. Terry's workmanship is great, the communication is very good, and the value per dollar is huge in my book.

Last edited by Bville-Bud; 08-23-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the review. That type of seat would not work for my style of riding though. Does he make seats that aren't the "sit in the middle and not move around" type?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #3 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well written review. Does the seat get your feet lower to the ground?

post #4 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Call or email Terry, he may be able to help you out. I can stand on my pegs with no less interference than the stocker, but don't know what he might be able to do about other seat types.

Terry's Custom Seats
(931 841-2620 [email protected])

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post
Thanks for the review. That type of seat would not work for my style of riding though. Does he make seats that aren't the "sit in the middle and not move around" type?

Call Terry
BUBBAMAN likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post

Are you talking moving side to side, for sporty riding? Or moving front to back on the seat?

Bucket style seats are designed to have more comfort with less pressure on your butt with a larger contact area (pressure = force/area).

I got a Terry Adcox bucket seat earlier this year, and I actually like it for shifting side to side for sportier riding in the twisties, there's a larger area for your butt when you're shifting on the seat. I'm addition to being comfortable for much longer than the stock seat.
Big B and BUBBAMAN like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

They are a tad bit closer, he could have done some work to get a lower seat also, but it wasn't what I was looking for in a custom seat. I wanted a wide seat that would support me well and get the pressure off of my tail bone, for my wide rear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68hoosier View Post
Well written review. Does the seat get your feet lower to the ground?
BUBBAMAN and 68hoosier like this.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
Are you talking moving side to side, for sporty riding? Or moving front to back on the seat?

Bucket style seats are designed to have more comfort with less pressure on your butt with a larger contact area (pressure = force/area).

I got a Terry Adcox bucket seat earlier this year, and I actually like it for shifting side to side for sportier riding in the twisties, there's a larger area for your butt when you're shifting on the seat. I'm addition to being comfortable for much longer than the stock seat.
Different strokes for different folks...I don't like a bucket type seat for sport riding. Don't have any tailbone issues or a wide rear end...just exploring what might be available for the Strom.

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #8 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree. This is not a Harley we are riding. I typically ride about 16k a year. Air hawk Adv and I'm good for 600-700 miles days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like to ride single track , gravel, and extreme twisties. Dragging four pegs. That seat would not work for me. But to each his own.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Foot, not four.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode