Stiffening Vee2 Over the Dash GPS/Shelf Mounting - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By richlandrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Stiffening Vee2 Over the Dash GPS/Shelf Mounting

I took measurements and ordered some springs today in the hopes of reducing the windscreen bounce on the Vee2. The first attempt will be a second spring set that will exist inside the existing spring.

Will update as soon as they arrive and are tested.

On a related note, it occurred to me that the springs could be replaced with low cost mini-linear actuators. Along with the DPST switch someone could have a electric operated windscreen that would not have the spring play of the existing set up.

The length of the existing spring varies only about 1" over the full range of adjustment. While it may seem silly at first to have an electric adjustable windscreen when the Givi AF3105 works so well over a 7" range of height, but if the springs don't do the job this might be a good option. It would stiffen the screen substantially while retaining adjustability.

Fingers crossed.

Update" Springs arrived, will install tonight and update thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Rick,
Is this so your over the dash gps shelf will be more applicable for use on rougher trails?

2014 DL1000 Khaki
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

IDRIDR,

Theoretically - yes.

Here is how do do it.

The springs I chose are from McMaster Carr. McMaster-Carr

They fit inside the stock springs and have about 125% of the pull of the stock springs so stability is more than doubled.

To install line one end of the springs as shown in the next photo. Then slip over this part over the bottom mount.

Using a pair of pliers (lineman's pliers work well) grasp the inner spring and insert it into the upper mount hole. Then do the same with the stock "outer" spring. Remember they are springs and can be twisted as needed to make their way into the hole.

Works great. No difference in operation, just a more stable platform for shelves and GPS mounts.
redkerk84 and GetLucky like this.

Last edited by richlandrick; 08-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just ordered a pair od springs from eBay. Not the same as yours but very similar. I don't have GPS mounted on screen brackets but my Givi Airflow on top holes makes the screen bounce too much for my taste. Let's see if additional springs will improve the stiffness.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode