this bike has the best engine I have ever ridden! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

this bike has the best engine I have ever ridden!

Man, i have been just testing new 2016 v-strom 1000 and I was amazed how torquey this engine is. It has awesome low down torque and power characteristics, better then Africa Twin, better then R1200GS, better then ktm 1190. Suspension was great too, despite of shorter travel then those other bikes. So much pleasure to ride I had really.

Now tell me why Suzuki didn't get for this bike decent ground clearance???!!! It would win with all other big adventure bikes easily! This kinda torque like v-strom 1k I need off-road.
Bugs, Big B, Bad Dad and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's a road bike, not an off road bike.
It's a great tallrounder and can do gravel roads good, but as Suzuki says, it is primarily a road bike, and a damn good one at that!
Lots of folks will take them "off road", but there are way better tools out there for that endeavor.
10MMVFR, Lrobby99, Spec and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I remember way back when a fellow on a V1 tried to get some air - busted off both foot pegs when he landed. I had my V1 in some 100 yd. long mud holes up in the U.P. (not by choice). Made it through fine. Also had it down to Gargantua Bay with full gear and wifey on back. Rutted bolder garden of a gravel road. Dry dirt trails are no problem. Extended gravel works great with the tires at 28 psi.
Lrobby99, booghotfoot and Rides like this.

75 DT 400 / 81 900FSS / 02 DL1000 / 02 SV650 /14 DL1000A

post #4 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
so me and a few others led by NJBill went through a lot of mud, stones ,big puddles and hills as well in the pouring rain.
the bike was great ,going up a hills that were all mud and rocks doing 5 mph in second gear it was like a tractor slow steady and just kept on pulling..
saying that the bike is not made to do that..it is too fragile to many thing come loose from the vibrations. the way it is designed causes that a little spill will cost a lot.
it doesn't come with an ABS kill switch , doesn't have a 21 inch front and ground clearance is an issue

but it can still do it ,and do it well
Bad Dad, We2V2 and Motosapien like this.

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
post #5 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
More clearance, aggressive set of tires and a factory ABS disable.........and either Strom is plenty capable off the pavement. Wow that sounds like a GS or a KTM doesn't it?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
actually i am pretty sure that my next bike will be a KTM (probably the 800 that is coming out next year if it's as good as what ktm usually produces ).
when i got hit by the car and i thought my bike was totaled I was thinking to buy the f800/tiger xcx /africa twin.

but the more i think about it, the more off road i want to do so i prefer the lighter bikes.
the strom is nice but i do feel it had so much more potential that they missed

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

Last edited by alon; 08-16-2016 at 11:53 PM.
post #7 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

some guys here repeat like a parrot that bike is not meant for that... I know that and my question was why???
why put so excellent engine with off-road characteristics to road bike??? It's a waste. It could be same type as in v-strom 650, no torque at all
As regards to being fragile - you haven't ridden new Africa Twin or GS??? cheap plastics everywhere...
post #8 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offnote View Post
why put so excellent engine with off-road characteristics to road bike??? It's a waste. It could be same type as in v-strom 650, no torque at all
I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying.. can you please elaborate a bit?

..Tom
Big B likes this.

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #9 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offnote View Post
some guys here repeat like a parrot that bike is not meant for that... I know that and my question was why???
As regards to being fragile - you haven't ridden new Africa Twin or GS??? cheap plastics everywhere...
i actually rode the bmw and the twin.
and i can tell you again the vee2 is fragile i got my beak hit and that alone cost me $600 in parts as the metal brace bent ,a plastic bracket in the headlight assembly broke (because the way the beak is attached to it) and that was doing maybe 5mph. and that's $600 not including labor which will be extensive because the entire front (headlight dash windshield etc..) has to be disassembled.

as for you question why???
ask suzuki they built the bike they will be able to tell you why they didn't want it to be an off oriented road bike
Hard miles likes this.

post #10 of 51 Old 08-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some people have strange ideas about what off-road is. If you are doing single track you definitely do not want a GS, a KTM big engine, or even a VStrom, you need something light and narrow so you can maneuver (lift) it over logs, and between trees, over deep ruts, large boulders, through rivers etc.

GS, KTM, Tiger, Africa Twin, VStrom all fit into the same category IMO, they are all too heavy for any real offroading, but they work fine for gravel roads, dirt roads, some rocks, but you do not want to be crawling logs with them or doing single track stuff. Hill climbing is a crapshoot too, very heavy bike, if you find out halfway up that you aren't going to make it, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Belly clearance comes into play when hopping logs, and deep potholes, and riding over large rocks all loaded up, but we are talking inches difference between the bikes. I haven't bottomed out on my VStrom yet, but then I don't ride potholed roads at 100km/hour, go looking for logs to climb, or go anywhere with it that is unsuitable for a 500 lb bike.

You can pay many thousands of dollars more to get those extra few inches of clearance, and you may never use it. Is it worth that much to you?
V-Tom, pvwheeler, Toto and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
off-road , torque , v-strom 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode