2014+ DL1000A Speedometer Correction Success! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 91 Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
B/W is ground. W/G is hot. Normally, ribbed is ground and smooth is hot. The adapter wires may be the same color but check for a ribbed wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 91 Old 11-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks again Pat. Just out of curiosity, why do both wires show continuity to ground ?
post #13 of 91 Old 11-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Interesting. My GPS is pretty good about pointing those cameras out so far (symbols on the map) and I have a Cobra radar detector that works pretty well but they are always trying new stuff. I drove through Illinois a while back and they jam the radar detectors with a continuous flood of waves in places. lol

I have two GPS's on board for a corrected speed but may put a correction device on anyways in the winter for something to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Speaking of speedo calibration I used what counts - a police speed camera.

One pinged me doing 110 km/h. I spotted it, glanced at the speedo, saw my speed on the bike's speedo (Blackbird at the time) and on a Garmin GPS calibrated cycle computer which indicated around 110. I didn't glance at the GPS as it was hard to read at the time.

But I downloaded its logs when I got home and located the position and rough time of the event. It too said 110 (prior to that, around the corner it said 120...).

So, that is good enough for me. After all, it's trying to dodge the speeding fines which it's all about.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

post #14 of 91 Old 11-29-2016, 10:55 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjb View Post
Thanks again Pat. Just out of curiosity, why do both wires show continuity to ground ?
What method did you use to check? Some testers other than ohmmeters will show continuity if the hot side is connected to a load with a low enough resistance.

I did learn a couple of things from checking the wiring diagram on the Vee2. I couldn't find a B/W and W/G connector on the wiring diagram. I just knew that B/W is always ground on other models and the Vee2 changed from O/G on other models to W/G for ignition on hot. It would be off the signals fuse on other models. It would be nice to know if pulling the signals fuse would kill the power to the connector on your bike. I thought the power connector on the diagram was used for heated grips and there was only one as opposed to separate power connector and heated grip connector on the 650. The power connector on the Vee2 diagram shows white/blue rather than white/green for hot.

Also, the diagram shows a separate ignition coil for each of the four spark plugs rather than two dual coils on the 650. An electrical diagram is different from a physical diagram though.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #15 of 91 Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

To check, I used the 1K ohm setting on my $6 VOM. Pulling the 15 amp signal fuse does indeed kill the power to the connector. Other people have said that the connector is fused by the 3 amp power fuse but I'm guessing that is for the cigarette lighter outlet. No ribbing on the connector or adapter wires.
post #16 of 91 Old 11-30-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjb View Post
The reason that both wires show low resistance to ground is that the +12V side is also going through multiple relays coils and other devices that will have low resistance at low current, like when you are using the ohm meter, but will have much higher resistance when current is increased when you turn the bike on and actually apply +12V. The the wires in a coil are just that: wires. When there is no current present they will read almost a dead short. But when you apply voltage and higher current to the coil the counter electro-magnetic force will create the resistance that will keep the thing from burning out.

Cheers,
post #17 of 91 Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Very interesting. Thank you.
post #18 of 91 Old 11-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Huh!? Coils don't change ohm value when voltage is applied unless it is shorted. Look up ohms law.
post #19 of 91 Old 04-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

There is Now a PLUG AND PLAY option for Speedo-DRD

Great news! 12-O'Clock labs now makes a $23 adapter for their S1 model which fits most Suzuki's prior to traction control. Edit: I meant the S1 which fit Suzuki before TC was added. The S1 connects to the adapter and the adapter plugs into the back of the speedo gauge itself. There's only one plug back there so you can't miss it. So you buy the S1 model and the adapter and that's it! Fortunately for me I removed my S1 from my 650 that I just traded.

Here's the link:

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.p...product_id=164

I am posting this on two threads on the subject that I have been following. Hope that's ok.
Scorch, Bugzy and Toshbar like this.

Last edited by Ron Strommer; 04-13-2018 at 11:15 PM.
post #20 of 91 Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

"Great news! 12-O'Clock labs now makes a $23 adapter for their S1 model which fits most Suzuki's prior to traction control"

Well...the '14+ Vstrom1000 does have traction control. So you're saying this 12-O'Clock Labs adapter works on the '14?
Sounds like a slight conflict here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dl1000a , speedhealer , speedodrd , speedometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode