clutch slave cyl install help - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By trapperdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

clutch slave cyl install help

I just did the front sproket area clean out on my 2014 1000. Not too dirty and mostly went well. I did NOT tie the lever to the bars.

On install i am having difficulty getting the cylinder housing bolted back on. It seems to be binding about 1/4'' from mateing to the case.

My initial thoughts are with the aligment pin but not 100% convinced. Has any one had any similar issues when installing the slave cylinder after cleanning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

While you were working on the sprocket area, if you didn't put adhesive tape or ziptie arround the piston and cylinder, the piston worked its way out of the cylinder. Prepare everything to put back on and then compress the cylinder between your hands so the piston gets back in, then quickly put it on. Bolts will still compress it some so don't be afraid to tighten them.
When my dealer took it off the last time, he forgot to put the ziptie and the piston was almost all the way out. He didn't have enough force to compress it back in, so he used portable vice grips to compress it.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

U do have to be careful of that. Hopefully you havn't reefed on it too much yet. Loosen it up and use a rubber mallet to ease it in snug. You can strip the casing with the bolts too so no ham fisting. (Did I just say that?)

post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I did zip tie the cyl piston while cleaning and fully retracted the piston by hand before installing. I did not fully remove the rod while cleaning. Is there a chance anything inside the case could be preventing it from being tightened down all the way?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Make sure you have that long metal tube spacer installed correctly as well. I remember having to futz with mine, seems like the last bit was pulled down with the bolts

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
Make sure you have that long metal tube spacer installed correctly as well. I remember having to futz with mine, seems like the last bit was pulled down with the bolts
Same here. If remembering correctly the wider part of the release cylinder spacer (4) was pointing towards the bike.

Check the service manual here DL1000A (L4) SERVICE MANUAL under 5 -Transmission / Transaxle -> 5C -Clutch -> -Clutch Release Cylinder / Clutch Push Rod (Left) Removal and Installation

Suzuki manual picture below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (32.1 KB, 28 views)

Ride - Life Is Too Short!
York

Last edited by York; 08-07-2016 at 11:57 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Tighten each bolt a little at a time. Driving one all the way in first can cock the slave and piston not allowing the other to fully seat.
Big B and ToadRide like this.

'09 VEE
'07 HD SEUC
'09 ST1300P
'06 ST1300
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I had more time to spend on it yesterday. I think it was just binding on tthe locator pin. A soft maletthelped it all seat properly. One thing to mention is that when fully assembled correctly the pin doesnt get fully covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode