DON'T BUY SW-MOTECH top case adapter !!!!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
DON'T BUY SW-MOTECH top case adapter !!!!!!

After multiple times of the bolts shearing off and replacing every thing from the bolts to the whole kit i finally had a long talk with the twisted throttle tech

so basicly what he told me that it's really a crappy design but no other options because of the way the rear rack is designed on the vee2
the new rack is designed to carry up to 16lb(compared to 23lb with the old vee) including the case (which weighs about 10lb) so that means that the bolts are already at about 2/3 of the max load when it's empty and to that some bumps and it can easily snap the bolts. still a crappy design. he told me to try again and only torque with a screw driver (even though i used a torque wrench ) so i make sure it's not over torqued .
and to take it off when off roading .

basicly dont use it for any mildly rough stuff!!(and even means rough asphalt like NYC has)

my conclusion DON'T BUY SW-MOTECH top case adapter !!!!!!
and maybe anything else they make. because why would you release such a shitty product even if there is nothing you can do to improve it!!!!!????

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

Last edited by alon; 08-02-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

What about switching to higher grade bolts?

'09 VEE
'07 HD SEUC
'09 ST1300P
'06 ST1300
post #3 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
well he said the reason they use these bolts is to make sure they snap before tweaking the subframe

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

post #4 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

The (Metal) Givi topcase mount works brilliantly with no issues.

I have had it since I got this 2015 DL1000 a year and 50,000 km/31,000 miles ago. I routinely ride on very rough roads, often load my 6 year old Givi E52 topcase with way too much crap, and not a single issue.

..Tom
Bad Dad, Snownut, Skew and 1 others like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #5 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had the aluminum SWM top case adapter on the 2015 XT I sold and had no issues and purchased the SWM steel top case adapter plate for my 2015 DL1000 and never had a problem with that either. I'm thinking you're doing something wrong or you had a bad batch of bolts.
Brojon likes this.

-John
post #6 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
the problem is only with the vee2 (and i am not the only one who had this problem )not the xt.
I Have replaced the bolts about 7 times
i replaced the rack twice.
i did the install and so did my tech.
now i can understand you saying i did something wrong ,but so did my tech!?

have you been doing any off roading with your bike?
are the roads in edison as bad as manhattan?

Last edited by alon; 08-02-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I don't take it off road but yes, NJ has bad roads. I see what you're saying and just assume they had a batch of bad bolts. I don't know what else to make of it.

-John
post #8 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
the TW tech pretty much told me that the options how to mount a case on the vee2 suck so that's the best the could do
i am thinking of changing to touratech but its a lot of $$$$ to shell out after i already did on the SWM

post #9 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 PM
fig
Stromthusiast!

Just throwing tho out there.....when I was on the Concours Owners Group, it was very common to make your own top case adapter using nylon or plastic cutting boards. We would just drill hole to mount one to the bike then drill hole in another one the same, place one inside the top box sandwiching it inbetween the two cutting boards. Crude but very effective. It's also fixed so can't be pulled off without unbolting. Painted or stained them black. Just a thought. I wouldn't hesitate to do this to my bike if I didn't already have a box mounted and tbh it's just a cheap Chinese box I've been swapping on other bikes for about 4 years now....lol. Works great though. Best $40 I ever spent.
post #10 of 56 Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

The (Metal) Givi topcase mount works brilliantly with no issues.

I have had it since I got this 2015 DL1000 a year and 50,000 km/31,000 miles ago. I routinely ride on very rough roads, often load my 6 year old Givi E52 topcase with way too much crap, and not a single issue.

..Tom

This is the solution.
V-Tom, Snownut and Bugzy like this.

2002 DL 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode