Contemplating a '14 DL1000 Adventure - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Contemplating a '14 DL1000 Adventure

I've ridden mostly street bikes in my past (03 CBR 600RR, GXSR and my last bike was an 07 SV650S)

I'm looking for a sport tourer now and I've verbally committed to a "NEW" 2014 Adventure model for $11k OTD from a dealer. After looking around it seems I could get a better price or might not even need the adventure model.

My daily riding will be commuting 30 miles each way on highway in Florida. I'll be moving to Colorado in a couple years so I might be able to take advantage of it then, but not really right now.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

You have already wasted too much time contemplating when you could have been outside riding!
We2V2, GetLucky, vtoy and 1 others like this.

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3
post #3 of 16 Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've got an adventure model and my advice would be to get a standard and mod it up yourself. What you get in the adventure package is a windshield that's 1" taller that most folks don't really like, luggage that most think is too small, hand guards that won't protect your controls in a zero speed tip over, a really cheesy bug guard for your oil filter and crash bars that are really nice but you could substitute something just as good for a lot less money. All of those are very easy installs.
Outbackwack, Solo Moto and We2V2 like this.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure what the bike market is near you, but you could probably find a non-adventure '14 model for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2K less.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #5 of 16 Old 07-21-2016, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like a Bandit 1250, FZ9 or a new VFR800 might be a better choice for you.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 16 Old 07-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've got a GSX1250 (Bandit) and a 14' DL1000A. The Vstrom is the much nicer bike. The Bandit has turbine smooth torque, but the V2 is the bike to have. I agree with others, do the adv mods yourself. Underneath they're the same bike.

In 1.5 years I've put 35,000 kms on the V2. The Bandit is 5 years old with similar kms. Owned both since new. Reason I'm keeping the Bandit is cos I get nothing for resale and it's worth more to me as a second bike when needed cos they're my every day transport.

Bill
We2V2 likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I have a '14 adventure that was a "new" leftover as well. I am in the minority and like the factory bags. The lines complement the look and the locks are keyed the same as the ignition. The bags are smaller than you can get aftermarket, but none of those aftermarket bags fit as tight nor do they look as natural as the factory bags. (Right side bag is molded to fit around the muffler and rides close to the bike at the expense of some internal volume)

You mentioned that your main riding will be paved commuting 30 miles daily (about the same for me). With that in mind, I have ample space in the bags to carry emergency gear, water, cargo bungies, paracord, foul weather gear, cellphone mounts & charger, my lunch, and any mail / small errands that I pick up around town. They are even adequate for weekend overnight camping trips, although to get everything for me and my son onboard there was a lot of stuff lashed to the cargo rack in addition to stuffing the side bags. They are also big enough to carry my loaded fishing vest and a collapsible rod & reel for day trips to the lakes around here.

For paved commuting the factory bug/rock guard (lower cowl) is adequate. I even took mine off road with just the factory bug/rock guard. However, I have ample access to dirt roads and plan to spend more time off road (especially when my brother finally gets around to getting an adventure bike), so eventually I replaced the bug guard with a decent bash plate for peace of mind.

The handguards are also adequate to keep road debris, bugs, wind & rain off your hands. But they are just plastic, so probably won't offer any crash protection as mentioned previously.

I also wanted the "touring screen" because I'm tall, but eventually had to replace it with something more...

The accessory bars are a must for me (most call them crash bars - but Suzuki calls them accessory bars - probably for marketing or liability control). Either way you go, I definitely recommend having some form/brand of them. Great for mounting lights and stuff. And I assume they will also offer some protection when the bike gets tired enough to take a nap. I have never dropped my bike so I can't say for sure. On the other side of that argument, many claim that they can add vibrations to your ride.

For me it has been about 50/50 for using the factory adventure equipment and aftermarket stuff. It depends on your situation. The adventure package does run about a $2K difference from a naked bike. The bags will account for the lion's share of that cost difference. Shop the stuff you think you will want/use vs. stuff you will replace in your application and crunch the numbers. Also, don't forget you can usually sell off the factory stuff that you remove to offset the costs of the replacements, so include that in your number crunching. For me it ended up sixes going either way (adventure with swap outs vs. building up from naked), but I wanted the tight fit and matching look of the factory bags - which are quite pricey when purchased separately. But I found a dealership that was selling for $2K less than everyone else in town, so it made it an easy decision for me, plus the adventure model was good to go right out the door!
2thDr likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
I have a '14 adventure that was a "new" leftover as well. I am in the minority and like the factory bags. The lines complement the look and the locks are keyed the same as the ignition. The bags are smaller than you can get aftermarket, but none of those aftermarket bags fit as tight nor do they look as natural as the factory bags. (Right side bag is molded to fit around the muffler and rides close to the bike at the expense of some internal volume)

You mentioned that your main riding will be paved commuting 30 miles daily (about the same for me). With that in mind, I have ample space in the bags to carry emergency gear, water, cargo bungies, paracord, foul weather gear, cellphone mounts & charger, my lunch, and any mail / small errands that I pick up around town. They are even adequate for weekend overnight camping trips, although to get everything for me and my son onboard there was a lot of stuff lashed to the cargo rack in addition to stuffing the side bags. They are also big enough to carry my loaded fishing vest and a collapsible rod & reel for day trips to the lakes around here.

For paved commuting the factory bug/rock guard (lower cowl) is adequate. I even took mine off road with just the factory bug/rock guard. However, I have ample access to dirt roads and plan to spend more time off road (especially when my brother finally gets around to getting an adventure bike), so eventually I replaced the bug guard with a decent bash plate for peace of mind.

The handguards are also adequate to keep road debris, bugs, wind & rain off your hands. But they are just plastic, so probably won't offer any crash protection as mentioned previously.

I also wanted the "touring screen" because I'm tall, but eventually had to replace it with something more...

The accessory bars are a must for me (most call them crash bars - but Suzuki calls them accessory bars - probably for marketing or liability control). Either way you go, I definitely recommend having some form/brand of them. Great for mounting lights and stuff. And I assume they will also offer some protection when the bike gets tired enough to take a nap. I have never dropped my bike so I can't say for sure. On the other side of that argument, many claim that they can add vibrations to your ride.

For me it has been about 50/50 for using the factory adventure equipment and aftermarket stuff. It depends on your situation. The adventure package does run about a $2K difference from a naked bike. The bags will account for the lion's share of that cost difference. Shop the stuff you think you will want/use vs. stuff you will replace in your application and crunch the numbers. Also, don't forget you can usually sell off the factory stuff that you remove to offset the costs of the replacements, so include that in your number crunching. For me it ended up sixes going either way (adventure with swap outs vs. building up from naked), but I wanted the tight fit and matching look of the factory bags - which are quite pricey when purchased separately. But I found a dealership that was selling for $2K less than everyone else in town, so it made it an easy decision for me, plus the adventure model was good to go right out the door!
Agree totally with this post. The adventure pkg is fine for what most riders will do with their bikes: tour and commute. I also had to add a bigger windshield and a center stand, but apart from those necessities, it's ready to go.

The bags are a bit small, but hard bags are never big enough for serious touring anyway; I added a tank bag and tank panniers and usually throw a duffle bag on the rack with some bungees.

But $11K sounds high for a '14 these days. You should be able to find one for at least 1K less, maybe even 2. Good luck!
post #9 of 16 Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought the same thing your looking at, new old stock 2014. IMO the discounted adventure is the way to go if you do not want to spend a lot of money adding a bunch of farkles. I traded in a KLR for the Strom and i bought the KLR new and spent a lot of money on it getting it the way i wanted. I didnt want to spend alot on the next bike so i bought the discounted Strom Adv. because for road use, in which i will use it, it doesn't need anything to add on. The stock side cases are deceivingly big although i do not like the way they open (clam shell type) if you want to stack a bunch o stuff in them then you really need to take them off the bike to do that. Windshield is ok but the best. I really like the engine guards, they look really good. Just my $.02
post #10 of 16 Old 08-05-2016, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought a left over 2014 for 9800 and found factory bags that were take offs (like new), hand guards, belly cover, touring shield all for 750.00 No regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode