SW-motech steel mounting plate - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

SW-motech steel mounting plate

I purchased one beginning of the year. I'm pretty good on not overloading my top case weight, but I do travel some gravel roads with it loaded sometimes. Anyway, the front 2 bolts that mount in to the subframe I believe have sheared off. Sucks, I'm not too happy about it, anyone else had this issue happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Is it standard hardware or special? Just upgrade to a better class of hardware and you should be good.

2015 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 650 XT ABS
Riding with Ren, my blog: http://ridingwithren.tumblr.com/
post #3 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same thing happen, I replaced them with shouldered bolts of a higher grade (I think the ones it came with were not even grade 5.
I went with grade 8 equivalent in stainless.

A signature

post #4 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmdm8 View Post
I had the same thing happen, I replaced them with shouldered bolts of a higher grade (I think the ones it came with were not even grade 5.
I went with grade 8 equivalent in stainless.
Don't get too caught up on the grade of the bolt, or getting grade 8. Get a shoulder bolt that ensures the shoulder takes the full shear load and you should be fine. Grade 5 is more than enough.

High grade bolts aren't always better and stronger in the application. Higher grades are also harder and stiffer and can cause other problems in odd ways you might not expect. Also, mismatching the grade of the bolt and the nut can cause problems too, stripping and not staying tight.

2002 DL1000: 75k miles. Bought at 50k miles.
1992 XJ600: Red, Very custom.
2002 Vespa ET4 150: The wife's ride.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmusa View Post
Is it standard hardware or special? Just upgrade to a better class of hardware and you should be good.
yeah I plan on getting something better, was just wondering if anyone else was having any issues with aftermarket plates.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had the same problem 4-5 times i also replaced bolts with higher grades and they sheared as well.
last time it happened is 3 weeks ago when i went off road.
I talked to keith from twisted throttle.
I reinstalled the whole thing again new spacers ,bolts etc... we will see what happens.
last NEVA I left with my rear rack zip tied and strapped ,i hope this year is different .
if it isn't i will have a more serious talk with them,their customer service is usually very good so i don't anticipate a problem

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

funny I just noticed mine after doing some mild off-roading the other day. I wasn't beating on the bike that hard, heck, I don't even have a real bash plate!
post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
funny I just noticed mine after doing some mild off-roading the other day. I wasn't beating on the bike that hard, heck, I don't even have a real bash plate!
it happened to me the first time just riding the streets of NYC (which is mild off road ).

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-2016, 10:24 AM
R-2
Stromthusiast!

Yes, happened to me too. They sent me replacement bolts but I replaced the top plate with the GIVI version which has a support bracket underneath to lessen the strain on the bolts.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

hmmmm, got me thinking of going a different route myself now. Twisted Throttle replaced my bolts as well, but I don't want to have to drill them out and replace every few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode