Excessive vibration - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Excessive vibration

I have had my 14 Vstrom 1000 for almost 2 months now and have around 1300 miles on it. I have been enjoying it until the last 600 miles. I took it to the place where I bought it for a center stand install since it was not on the bike when I bought it. While I was there I had them do the first service interval as it was convenient and I was about to do a couple hour ride after it was finished. After receiving it I had to stop every hour because my hand would loose feeling and would have numbed all the way up to my elbow. I only ride 5 minutes to work so I don't loose the feeling in my hands but if I ride the 20 minutes across town I'm ready to get off of it. So my question is what in the world did the dealership change when they did the 600 mile service? I talked to them yesterday and they stated that since the motor is solid mounted to the frame that there is going to be vibration. I said that's crap since I can't ride it more than 20 minutes and that there is a bigger issue at hand. So now I have it scheduled for tuesday but I was wondering if someone knew what it might be.

P.s. They said the cure was softer grips. 😂😂😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 11:27 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The most common cause is engine guards/accessory bars/crash bars amplifying vibrations. Simply installing a center stand shouldn't have involved anything that would affect that area though.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
That's what I figured. I have some of the adventure parts on my bike but they came on it. So I don't think that has anything to do with it as the only thing that changed was he center stand.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Slap a pair of grip puppies on it. They take a little while to get used to but are super comfy and good at reducing vibs to the hands.

2014 Suzuki DL1000 - Pearl White
2010 Honda VFR1200 - Candy Prominence Red
post #5 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm assuming you did longer rides before the service with no problems? Did you get any other accessories around the same time? Did you get new gloves? Those can make a difference. Does the stand vibrate against the stop? Hard to imagine it would increase vibration, but you are changing the mass of the system, so who knows. Maybe they adjusted the chain...too tight, too loose?

I have some vibration on mine that isn't really noticeable except on rides over about an hour, and I sometimes get some tingling or numbness. I bought new Oury road grips to help with this but haven't installed them yet. Some have had good results with the Bar Snake, or filling the bars with BBs, lead shot, silicone, etc.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #6 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I did several long rides before. It takes about 12 minutes before I can feel my hands start to numb up. Everything has stayed the same as far as gear goes. What does everyone recommend for tightness of the chain? I would hope that they adjusted it rig before I put these last 700 miles on but you never know anymore.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

General recommendation for chain slack is a little looser than specs. Spec is .8 - 1.2" in center of chain, pull down and measure, push up and measure. And the Factory Service Manual says to put it on a jack (center stand), so that would be with the swingarm fully extended. If you set it to the low end of these specs, then compressed the suspension, I think you'd find the chain would be very tight when the front and rear sprockets and swingarm pivot lined up - not a good thing. I set mine at around 1.5" on the center stand, maybe a little less on the side stand, but I haven't checked the difference. 1.5" on the side stand is probably ok, too.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I believe the "jack" they are referring to in the service manual is a lift using bobbins/L-brackets on the rear swing arm. That will compress the swing-arm the same as if on the side-stand. Easier that way, instead of rolling the bike to check the slack on different parts of the chain. If you don't have a swing arm lift, 1.5" is good on the center-stand.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okidave View Post
I believe the "jack" they are referring to in the service manual is a lift using bobbins/L-brackets on the rear swing arm. That will compress the swing-arm the same as if on the side-stand. Easier that way, instead of rolling the bike to check the slack on different parts of the chain. If you don't have a swing arm lift, 1.5" is good on the center-stand.
I'm not sure Suzuki really knows...in the table of service data it says "on side-stand". In the section on the drive train/chain the text says "Support the motorcycle with a jack or wooden block." Numbers are the same in both cases. While I think a swing-arm stand would make more sense, it's not at all clear that's what they had in mind.

Now I'm curious - I'll have to check it both on the side and center stands to see what the difference actually is.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #10 of 12 Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 PM
fig
Stromthusiast!

I just put my center stand on myself and have the same symptoms you are experiencing. I ride about 20 minutes and my hands are numb. Particularly my thumb and index finger. I somewhat remedied the index finger by not resting it on the brake lever, which is my habit. No relief for the thumb. I'm going to try and find some heavier bar end weights and see if that helps. I have even stopped riding it this week and am back on my Aprilia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode