Heat problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Heat problem

Wondering if it has happened to anyone on the forum on the newer models.

My bike has been going great for the first ~55000kms, but lately it's been generating a LOT of heat.

The engine stays at 3 bars always, never went over, no matter the ambient temperature. Lately, the air sensor has been showing at least 5 to 6 degrees celsius more then the actual temp. And boy do my legs and lower body feel it! It's like having a hairdryer on constantly, having to extend the knees farther to reach cooler air.

This week, i even had coolant spit from the left side twice, not a lot, but enough for a scare.

I went to the dealership, they tightened all the collars, and said i was missing a little fluid in my overflow (they added some). I need to go back next week so they can look at more stuff, but so far they don't know what could do it. When i got home, it had spit some more coolant.

Any ideas? Personal experience?

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

i'm guessing thermostat or water pump. where's it leaking from?

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #3 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe needs a flush/cleaning.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The ambient air temperature reading high is common. Feeling more heat is relative. If the display stays at three bars, the coolant is in the proper temperature range. You need to locate the source of the leak. It may be from the overflow bottle. A bad radiator cap can cause bubbling from the cap into the bottle.
Big B likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #5 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the input guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
i'm guessing thermostat or water pump. where's it leaking from?
The dealership didn't tell me exactly where it was, but traces are from the left side, and it covers the left mid (grey side plastic) to lower engine. I even had spray on the left side case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepeze View Post
Maybe needs a flush/cleaning.
Wouldn't the engine heat up if the coolant wasn't good anymore?

Scratches head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The ambient air temperature reading high is common. Feeling more heat is relative. If the display stays at three bars, the coolant is in the proper temperature range. You need to locate the source of the leak. It may be from the overflow bottle. A bad radiator cap can cause bubbling from the cap into the bottle.
The strom used to show the same as my friend's triumph's display (to a margin of 0.5C) and a dealership road sign i regularly ride by, but now all of a sudden, it's way off. Could the bubbling thing generate that much heat?

________
post #6 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null 13 View Post
Thanks for the input guys!

The dealership didn't tell me exactly where it was, but traces are from the left side, and it covers the left mid (grey side plastic) to lower engine. I even had spray on the left side case.

Wouldn't the engine heat up if the coolant wasn't good anymore?

Scratches head...

The strom used to show the same as my friend's triumph's display (to a margin of 0.5C) and a dealership road sign i regularly ride by, but now all of a sudden, it's way off. Could the bubbling thing generate that much heat?
My understanding is that the reason coolant "goes bad" or "wears out" is due to the additives getting used up (for lack of a better term), especially the corrosion inhibitors. It will still cool the engine as long as there is no corrosion or mineral deposits in the radiator and passageways.

The air temp sensor is down low inside the front cowling (on the left, if I recall), and I suspect there may not be good airflow or maybe turbulent or dead air in that area, even while moving. It's not that far from the radiator so if there were some steam escaping I suppose it is possible that it could affect the reading.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 14 Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
My understanding is that the reason coolant "goes bad" or "wears out" is due to the additives getting used up (for lack of a better term), especially the corrosion inhibitors. It will still cool the engine as long as there is no corrosion or mineral deposits in the radiator and passageways.

The air temp sensor is down low inside the front cowling (on the left, if I recall), and I suspect there may not be good airflow or maybe turbulent or dead air in that area, even while moving. It's not that far from the radiator so if there were some steam escaping I suppose it is possible that it could affect the reading.
The reading is good though. The sensor is detecting the accurate temp around my bike because of all the warm air thrown at me by the engine (or fan?).

I know a bike is supposed to generate more heat during summer, but this is ridiculous.

________
post #8 of 14 Old 07-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have seen other bikes do this and the most common fix was to BURP the radiator. To do that, you take the radiator cap off, start up the bike and let it warm up. While the bike is idling, check to make sure you have the proper level of fluid under the cap. If the bike has air in the system, you will see air bubbles coming to the top where the cap is and this will proceed until the air bubbles go away under a constant idle. I have seen some bikes that will dribble a little fluid out during this process, but eventually the bubbles go away. When they do, put the radiator cap back on and give the bike a few throttle blips to cycle the fluid a little more. Then, turn the bike off and let it cool or... go for a ride and see if you still have heat issue.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" George S. Patton
post #9 of 14 Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

You need to find out where it is leaking from surely before you do anything else? But it sounds like you need to do a flush and new radiator cap and thermostat, just for peace of mind.

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3
post #10 of 14 Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'll tell the dealership about the burping and the flushing(lol).

I went for a slow ride today and it spit at me again on the left side, actual temp was about 19C, on the bike the sensor showed 24C, the engine stayed at 3 bars, my legs were kept warm all the way...

________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode