Anybody install RaceTech Gold Valves yet? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Anybody install RaceTech Gold Valves yet?

I'm thinking of installing RaceTech Gold Valves in the forks. I want a smoother ride on worn pavement. The low velocity damping is OK, but I find the high velocity damping harsh.

Has anyone installed Gold Valves in their V2 yet? Any tips? I'm waiting for a response from RaceTech about suggestions for the set up, but no word yet. A friend has been to the RaceTech school and has the tools for the inverted forks; he'll do the interior work.

RaceTech says:
Gold Valves® are Race Tech's Custom Valving Kits. They are designed to break through the limitations of stock piston designs. Research has shown that the stock piston ports induce unnecessary harshness. Gold Valves are designed to reduce piston restriction so harshness is dramatically reduced. This also allows the valving stack to be personally tailored to the individual rider. Tests have proven that bottoming resistance is actually increased as the harshness is decreased. Traction is also improved.
Gold Valve Overview

Kit FMGV S252502C with both compression and rebound valves is listed at $399 and available as low as $330. My friend says maybe 2 hours to do the job after I've got the forks off the bike. More like 3 if I help.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Those little installs are pricey. You might want to talk to a suspension person mano a mano. The right spring for your weight and riding style and the proper wt oil might be a less expensive way of finding a good result.
Then again. ad hype is a seller!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Vaporware. The Gold Valve kit for the V2 is listed on Race Tech's web page, but it isn't actually available. Not even Race Tech tech support can get one. Some day....

I checked with Rich at Sonic Springs. He's examined the springs and found that they're rated 0.75 kg/mm for the first three
inches, 0.95 for the last 3, with an inch of transition zone in between. He said that would work well for my weight. I've bought springs from Rich before, and I'd buy them again if he recommended a change. (We often talk of Suzuki springs as being progressive, but I think they're all dual-rate.)

The local indie shop owner has been to the Race Tech school, and he can do the job for much less than Race Tech charges, except we can't get the parts. Maybe next winter....

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
PT, what is your weight?

2014 DL1000 Khaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode