6'4" and over - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-20-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

6'4" and over

I have a 2002 dl1000 and love it, the looks of the new 2014 and up dl1000 is starting to grow on me. So my question is to the big boys who are 6'4" and over who went from the first generation V Strom to the new model. How is the comfort, do you feel like a monkey on a football when riding it compared to the old one?? What do you like about the new one compared to the old one??? Tell me everything, etc, etc...

GOD DOES NOT DEDUCT FROM MAN'S ALLOTTED TIME THOSE HOURS SPENT RIDING A MOTORCYCLE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Adjustments are needed to make the bike comfortable.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-20-2016, 12:18 PM

I love the bike but it is killing my back. I need to look into a seat.

I feel it can be setup to suit your height but farkles are needed.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
truth be told if i was that tall i'd buy the ktm 1190

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is 2013 the "NEW" model ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjapbikes View Post
.. So my question is to the big boys who are 6'4" and over who went from the first generation V Strom to the new model. How is the comfort
I'm 6'4 and really long from the seat up (w/short 32" inseam). Never rode the "old" VEE and this is my first, the 2013. Is the 2014 a 'newer' model, I don't know.
Have a look at my 'profile' where there is a PIC of me on the bike. It "fits" well and I feel fine riding my machine. I ve read threads about airflow and buffeting but with my GiVi TALL windshield, I dont find any of that. My main problem, along with a lot of others here is with the OEM seat.
I just picked up an AirHawk2 inflatable "air" seat but will have to try it on an "All Day" ride to see how well it works.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

There are a few things taller guys with longer legs can easily do to improve the fit of the Vee2. Seat Concepts has a taller seat option. I think there is some information on it in the forum.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/pr...egory=14368033

We sell foot peg lowering kits, foot peg lowering kits with gear shift relocation.extension, and raising links in two sizes.

Footpeg and Control Lowering Kit - AdventureTech, LLC.

Gear Shift Relocation/Extension - AdventureTech, LLC.

Gen 2 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

6'3", 34" inseam. Aftermarket seat, Ricks peg lowering kit, bar risers. Couldn't be more comfortable.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Im only 6 ft but I needed the peg lowering kit and 1 inch bar risers and a seat (shad). The seat is no better than the oe so avoid this one. At your height you'll need a tall seat of some make as even with the peg kit theres just not enough leg room.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm 6'4" long torso 33 inseam.
I'm comfortable on it .Not quite as comfy as my first gen 650 and 1000 (its seems a bit smaller)but the brakes, overall handling, better power,abs,traction control more than make up for it.
95% of bikes feel way too small to me unlike this one.
I have Ricks peg lowering kit and gearshift extension.Installed rox 2" riser recently but not sure if I will leave it on.
I plan on getting a taller seat from Terry Adcox in the near future.Overall, there is no way I would trade my V2 for a first gen bike.
BUBBAMAN likes this.

2015 Wee2 EXP "Arya"
2002 DR650 SM "Tormund"
2014 CB500x (wifes)
2018 XT 250 (wifes)
post #10 of 18 Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Needs mods for tall guys

I've only had the 2014, but here's what I found. At 6'4" with 35" inseam, I needed to get the tall OEM seat and a taller screen. Givi Airflow was my choice for screen, but it's not perfect--still have some rough air at the very top of my helmet, and an updraft that comes up the sides of the fuel tank.

Peg height is okay with the taller seat, though a little more seat-to-peg room might be nice. The reach to handlebars is long, even with my monkey arms. I haven't installed risers, but I may do that at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode