The strom is killing my back - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The strom is killing my back

So far the comfort modifications include an airhawk cruiser medium pad, adventure tech lower peg mounts and sw motech 1 inch bar riser and bar backs.

My back is lower to middle back is still hurting on longer rides. I have adjusted the handle bars to the best position but I am still uncomfortable.

I am 6'2 and have to sit completely straight to reduce the pain. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 01:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Change seats? I get mild back pain on the V-Strom that I did not get on my BMW. The BMW had a Corbin seat and I want to get one for the Strom too. Also try standing up once in a while. When I ride the Strom I usually stand up every once in a while to get a quick stretch, it usually helps.

2015 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 650 XT ABS
Riding with Ren, my blog: http://ridingwithren.tumblr.com/
post #3 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm doing all the stretchig, standing and twisting I can do.

I'd like to try a tall seat but it's not as if I can go try one on somwhere.

post #4 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 01:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may need to bring the bars farther back. Your arms should be relaxed with your back straight. +1 on the seat upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
I'm doing all the stretchig, standing and twisting I can do.

I'd like to try a tall seat but it's not as if I can go try one on somwhere.
I had back pain as well, not sure that the seat will help as the tall seat is going to make you lean over more. could make it worse.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #6 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
I had back pain as well, not sure that the seat will help as the tall seat is going to make you lean over more. could make it worse.
For me the magic of an aftermarket seat is not on raising the sitting position, but in providing more support for the buttocks. The factory seat on the Strom provides no support for the outer buttocks, but if you look at how most aftermarket seats are shaped, you wills see they provide support in that area. Look at the Corbin for the V-Strom below and you will see what I mean:

2015 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 650 XT ABS
Riding with Ren, my blog: http://ridingwithren.tumblr.com/
post #7 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmusa View Post
For me the magic of an aftermarket seat is not on raising the sitting position, but in providing more support for the buttocks. The factory seat on the Strom provides no support for the outer buttocks, but if you look at how most aftermarket seats are shaped, you wills see they provide support in that area. Look at the Corbin for the V-Strom below and you will see what I mean:
he's talking about the Suzuki tall seat

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
sanmusa likes this.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #8 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to swingset
Seat angle / bars is what gets your back. If the bars aren't the culprit, change the seat.

Never met a dog I didn't like, a machine I couldn't break, or a woman I couldn't tick off.
post #9 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Definitely more pullback and possibly taller risers. I'd even shave the seat down since you have the cushion, especially towards the back.

2007 DL1000
post #10 of 55 Old 06-20-2016, 09:58 AM
fig
Stromthusiast!

I can't comment on the Vstrom but on my Capo I needed to move the bars forward. That would make me bend forward more and relieve the vertical jarring on my spine. Still for long trips in not sure I could get away from back pain on any bike or seat. I did 600 mile days last weekend on the Capo and it was a struggle. 1500 miles Friday through Sunday. Standing up helped the most. I would literally stand for about 2 miles then sit for 50 and repeat. I would twist and stretch sitting and standing, ride side saddle one cheek then the other, lay on the tank.....etc...LOL. I'm sure people were thinking "what's that goofy bastard doing?" I'm not young anymore and this is what it takes to really lay down some miles. I don't know if this Strom will be any different. I hope so, but I'm not honestly expecting it to be. A new seat will be in order, I'm sure. The few short jaunts I've had this weekend haven't revealed any seat demons yet. I'm thinking about going to Pikes Peak next weekend and Laguna Seca later on so ill be finding out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode