StromTrooper banner

Ecu problems. Recall yet?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Vdubfreak67 
#1 ·
My bike was a left over from 2014.. I got it 7500 miles and 3 months ago.. I had no issues at first but I would every once in a while have a stalling issue. I blip the throttle and it stalls. Still doesn't do that very often but it does happen. What I have been experiencing lately is odd.. When it sits and is cold.. As soon as I start it it runs wierd.. Kinda like it's cold with a carb.. I can start it cold.. Take off and try and get into the throttle and it studders... Just like a carb engine does when it's cold. Is this wierd? Is this the ecu problem I have read about? Has anyone heard about a recall in the states yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My bike was a left over from 2014.. I got it 7500 miles and 3 months ago.. I had no issues at first but I would every once in a while have a stalling issue. I blip the throttle and it stalls. Still doesn't do that very often but it does happen. What I have been experiencing lately is odd.. When it sits and is cold.. As soon as I start it it runs wierd.. Kinda like it's cold with a carb.. I can start it cold.. Take off and try and get into the throttle and it studders... Just like a carb engine does when it's cold. Is this wierd? Is this the ecu problem I have read about? Has anyone heard about a recall in the states yet?
My bike is March 2014. Since day one it had the same kind of behaviour as yours. At 2014, there was no ECU replacement in sight. I installed X-TRE and started to warm-up the bike 5 minutes before every ride. X-TRE, using the map from 5th gear, transformed the behaviour of the bike completely and it had never stalled again. Then, in late 2015 my dealer told me he was replacing ECU's on all DL1000 he sold. Well, after new ECU (part number ending with "2"), the bike was even better.
The original ECU part number was ending with "0".
My dealer told me I could even remove X-TRE now as the new ECU takes care of everything but I left it in.
On the side note, I still have to warm the bike up for 5 minutes as it still behaves strange when cold. I mean it has never stalled on cold again but it misses a lot and I don't want to risk a stall and fall.
With engine warmed up, I can do whatever I want, even blip the throttle as much as I want and it never misses a beat.

#5 ·
My bike was a left over from 2014..... Is this the ecu problem I have read about? Has anyone heard about a recall in the states yet?
In my opinion, your bike is a likely candidate for the ECU swap, based on your description.(I have had my '14 swapped). If so it will be a warranty process. There probably will not be a "recall" because it looks like there is only a relatively small number of bikes effected and they are seemingly not from a single production run.

You should closely read the Suzuki USA web site. They flat out say that any request must be initiated via postal mail (on paper / not email). I would recommend that you do your part to make it easy for them by including your VIN, Date of Purchase, Dealer info and phone # and especially your phone number and address.

In that letter, state your case and briefly describe any safety issues that concerns you. Be nice, the folks reading your letter are nice and most are bike riders too. In my case, I got a phone call from one of the customer service folks and the replacement went smoothly and quickly.

I have read in other threads that some folks got a replacement and found no difference afterwards. Likely, they didn't have a ECU problem. I know that in the beginning, before I knew there might be a ECU issue, I had my dealer sync the throttle bodies. That made a big improvement in the way it ran even though the stalling remained. We should remember that this was, for all intents, a first issue bike and there must have been a strong incentive to pass all the emission tests of all the various agencies, worldwide. So the fueling was as skinny as possible. I am happy to say that with the throttle body sync and ECU, my bike now runs as smooth and cleanly as I ever expected.

#9 · (Edited)
Is that something specific for US models? Mine are EU type, and I can't figure out any production date from all these numbers.

EDIT: Sorry for the dark picture, it's 10:30pm now and pretty dark outside :nerd:
Not sure how to tell on yours, but for bikes in the states they are dated top right on label. See mine attached for example.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.