V2 OEM Saddlebag latch/lock broken - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By RCE1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

V2 OEM Saddlebag latch/lock broken

The latch on one of my V2 OEM saddlebags won't close. I can see that the galvanized plate, where the male pin goes in to allow the key to turn has shifted and is loose. I thought sure I had seen a thread about this (and the fix) but can't find it today. Any help?

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I dropped my bike on the left side at a stop and the latch is broken also. I have not seen a repair thread but if I figure out how to fix I will post it.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

The latch is not broken - myself and others have had this problem.

There is a plate that can slide out of position and needs to be reset in order for the latch to operate. Just tip the case in different directions until the plate slides back to its normal position. It will happen eventually.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Gehts View Post
The latch is not broken - myself and others have had this problem.

There is a plate that can slide out of position and needs to be reset in order for the latch to operate. Just tip the case in different directions until the plate slides back to its normal position. It will happen eventually.
Thanks for the reply. I can see that the plate has shifted, true. I think it needs to be re-rivited so that it does not slide again while it is attached to the bike. If it does I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get it off the bike and that would make it too heavy to jiggle around. ;-)

I'm not being a wise guy but that is my worry. Or do you think it can't get locked on?

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #5 of 8 Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the plate needs to be able to move for the latch to function, although it's been a while since I've had to look much at it. I put a big dab of white grease on mine whick keeps it from flopping around but still lets it move. I thought the design was pretty poor, though.
NVDucati likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

My tail bag lock almost fell out ! i got lucky and found it just before it did,lost one screw, had to take all 3 bags locks out and locktight (red) the little tiny screws no more problems.

Last edited by Kevinjem7; 06-17-2016 at 11:00 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Mine did the same thing; the plate slides past the open position to block the male locking gizmo. I think it's a design fault, as both of my bags did this whenever I opened them on the bike. I fixed it by installing a small screw to stop the plate from sliding too far. Seems to work, but it's an aggravating flaw to find in a $1000 set of bags.

Another issue with the luggage system: the rubber pannier retainer on the passenger peg bracket (which mates with the lower bracket on the bag) has nothing other than friction to keep it on. One of mine came off at some point, and the dealer tells me I'd have to buy a whole bracket to replace the little rubber bumper. So I'll be fabricating a new one from a block of rubber. And gluing it on, as Suzuki could have done in the first place.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got the steel plate back into position and glued it there with a glob of RTV silicone sealant. Poor design, pain in the butt.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
latch , saddlebag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode