Broken Bolts? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 07-25-2017, 02:13 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Do you have a link for the spacers you used? I'm trying to figure out a solution like that.
Mine have broken with very little weight in the top case.

Vaseface
Northern California
14 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here's a list ink to the twisted throttle steel rack install. Look at parts 5 and 9. These are countersunk spacers. I apparently never installed or maybe even lost them. Without them, my front two bolts bottomed out almost exactly at thier shoulder and I was essentially twisting them "weak" as the shoulder was digging in to the nutplate threads. With the spacer, they are torqued properly. Zero problems now. Currently on a 3000 mile fully loaded trip - no problems.

http://d1l4i7f87txqmq.cloudfront.net...40_20002_b.pdf
Vaseface likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

A friend has this issue with a Mocheck box. Basically the best solution is to brace the carrier from underneath with stabiliser bars back to the frame. Givi and Hepco & Becker are already doing this. Not sure if Mocheck are doing likewise.

The problem is basically that the carrier is braced to the chassis only by the two carrier bolts at the front, and that allows the rear of the carrier to flex up and down thereby bending/straining the two main bolts at the front which eventually fatigue and break. Apart from Givi and H&B, some folks have done up some useful home made braces. Suzuki themselves have also adopted braces on the later XT's without admitting that their carrier on earlier bikes were rubbish in the first place .

If anybody has photos of their own efforts at bracing please put them on here. Also if anyone has any further links to braces from other manufacturers please also put the link on here.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood

post #14 of 14 Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Rough roads will break a plastic top box sooner or later.

If not the bolts than the box mount itself.
Before I abandoned top boxes I used a piece of hardwood inside the box after the plastic cracked.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode