ABS Fuse Pulled - Traction Control Light On. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Zig-Zag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 114
Garage
ABS Fuse Pulled - Traction Control Light On.

I went riding off road for the first time with 3 other riders. I pulled the 15 amp ABS fuse and the traction control light came on so I assume it was also disconnected. The speedometer read zero mph while moving, and after a while the fuel injection light came on. While still moving I pulled the clutch in, shut off the engine and re-started. The fuel injection light went out but re-lighted several times later and I would repeat the procedure. When we were finished riding off road I replaced the fuse and everything returned to normal.

I have a few questions - Is this normal for a '14 V2?

I saw a video on how to disconnect the ABS but it was for a 650 Strom. How can I turn off the ABS and still keep my traction control from turning off? I'm pretty good at electrical, so wiring isn't a problem for me.

Is the fuel injection light and speedometer acting up normal?

Ride it like you're invisible - Because you are.

Bikes past and present:

1967 Honda 305 Superhawk - Sold
1976 Honda 750 Superhawk - Sold
1978 Velorex sidecar added
1978 BMW R90 (with the sidecar) - Sold
2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan - Crashed
1986 Honda 700s Nighthawk - Sold
2005 Suzuki S50 - Sold
2012 Victory Cross Roads - Keeper
2014 Suzuki DL1000A - Keeper
Zig-Zag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
Some threads on the subject.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-...heel-spin.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-...tched-abs.html

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
RickB1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NE PA
Posts: 21
You can put the bike on the center stand. Shift into 2nd gear and let out the clutch. After a few seconds the ABS will shut off. It will turn back on when you shut off the key and turn the bike back on. I've done this a few times and had no problems, however there doesn't seem to be much of a need to shut off the ABS, even off-road.

RickB1975
RickB1975 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Snowlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 182
This subject interests me. Lots of "True Adventurers" rag on ABS. I watch some video of a BMW bounding down a hill out of control because ABS was on. My question of that video was "how about gearing?" No way that BMW guy was in a gear, most likely the clutch pulled in during the panic or shifted to Neutral.

I am not a hot dog off road rider, but so far have done minor testing of front ABS while controlling speed coming down gravel roads. I activated ABS a couple of times and knowing it would come on, found it helpful finding the max amount of front brake to use without wash out.

Basically, i just don't understand the hatred for ABS unless you are hard core, brake sliding corners and such.

Anyone have Strom knowledge of the advantage of tuning ABS off?
V-Tom and cheapbastard like this.

So many roads, so little time !
Snowlover is online now  
post #5 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Glendora,Ca
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlover View Post
This subject interests me. Lots of "True Adventurers" rag on ABS. I watch some video of a BMW bounding down a hill out of control because ABS was on. My question of that video was "how about gearing?" No way that BMW guy was in a gear, most likely the clutch pulled in during the panic or shifted to Neutral.

I am not a hot dog off road rider, but so far have done minor testing of front ABS while controlling speed coming down gravel roads. I activated ABS a couple of times and knowing it would come on, found it helpful finding the max amount of front brake to use without wash out.

Basically, i just don't understand the hatred for ABS unless you are hard core, brake sliding corners and such.

Anyone have Strom knowledge of the advantage of tuning ABS off?
well I cant speak to the video but I can tell you there were more than one occasion when off road that the ABS made it impossible to control downhill decent using the brakes. Major pucker factor.

Traction control at the high setting makes getting up lose hills also tough.

Really depends on the terrain. For me in my area there is lots of sand and loose surface so those two factors which make ABS and Traction Control both risk factors for me on this bike off road. Once again this is purely my experience.

A signature
sdmdm8 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SW Idaho
Posts: 615
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlover View Post
This subject interests me. Lots of "True Adventurers" rag on ABS. I watch some video of a BMW bounding down a hill out of control because ABS was on. My question of that video was "how about gearing?" No way that BMW guy was in a gear, most likely the clutch pulled in during the panic or shifted to Neutral.

I am not a hot dog off road rider, but so far have done minor testing of front ABS while controlling speed coming down gravel roads. I activated ABS a couple of times and knowing it would come on, found it helpful finding the max amount of front brake to use without wash out.

Basically, i just don't understand the hatred for ABS unless you are hard core, brake sliding corners and such.

Anyone have Strom knowledge of the advantage of tuning ABS off?
There are times when off pavement I want to skid.
MY V2's ABS works MUCH better than my buddy's BMW ABS in the nasty. His will run away on him.
My plan is centerstanding and running up the rpms a little in 2nd gear to kill abs in bad spots. It's good to practice with and without it.
2thDr likes this.

2014 DL1000 Khaki
IDRIDR is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
alon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 494
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig-Zag View Post
I went riding off road for the first time with 3 other riders. I pulled the 15 amp ABS fuse and the traction control light came on so I assume it was also disconnected. The speedometer read zero mph while moving, and after a while the fuel injection light came on. While still moving I pulled the clutch in, shut off the engine and re-started. The fuel injection light went out but re-lighted several times later and I would repeat the procedure. When we were finished riding off road I replaced the fuse and everything returned to normal.

I have a few questions - Is this normal for a '14 V2?

I saw a video on how to disconnect the ABS but it was for a 650 Strom. How can I turn off the ABS and still keep my traction control from turning off? I'm pretty good at electrical, so wiring isn't a problem for me.

Is the fuel injection light and speedometer acting up normal?
you should pull the ABS pump fuse not other abs fuse (because i think it kills the ABS the sensor which also is part of the tc and speedometer ).

this should solve all of the problems

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
alon is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Zig-Zag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 114
Garage
Thanks Alon, I'll try that next time.

Ride it like you're invisible - Because you are.

Bikes past and present:

1967 Honda 305 Superhawk - Sold
1976 Honda 750 Superhawk - Sold
1978 Velorex sidecar added
1978 BMW R90 (with the sidecar) - Sold
2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan - Crashed
1986 Honda 700s Nighthawk - Sold
2005 Suzuki S50 - Sold
2012 Victory Cross Roads - Keeper
2014 Suzuki DL1000A - Keeper
Zig-Zag is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Rolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney's East
Posts: 2,930
As Alon said pull the 25a motor fuse and everything but the ABS will work as normal.

If you do decide to fit a switch you can turn the ABS off and on while moving, there is no need to turn the ignition off and on to reset the ABS.(I have not tried it at speeds above 60kph)

When I fitted my switch I only used a 15a fuse in the system just to see how much load the system was carrying and after 800ks the 15a fuse is still intact so the loads are not huge.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Rolex is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Glendora,Ca
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
As Alon said pull the 25a motor fuse and everything but the ABS will work as normal.

If you do decide to fit a switch you can turn the ABS off and on while moving, there is no need to turn the ignition off and on to reset the ABS.(I have not tried it at speeds above 60kph)

When I fitted my switch I only used a 15a fuse in the system just to see how much load the system was carrying and after 800ks the 15a fuse is still intact so the loads are not huge.
You might want to test that with BOTH front and rear ABS activated, there may be separate pump circuits and you wont see the full amp draw until both are engaged. If you only tested with front or rear then may not be enough.

A signature
sdmdm8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome