DIY Seat Modification ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

DIY Seat Modification ?

Has anyone modified their stock seat?

Just for fun I'm thinking about trying some of the techniques shown on numerous You Tube videos to get a better shape in the stock seat foam. Goals would be to eliminate the slight forward lean and the convex shape. Seem like cutting the seat flat would be an improvement. Dishing a tractor seat shape would be icing on the cake.

I tried it on my 2005 Wee, but made the mistake of making it wider than stock so the stock seat cover would not fit. This time re-using the stock seat cover will be a goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 AM
$tromtrooper

I,ve modified mine several times by layering on different density foams then removeing with a grinder to a tractor seat shape.Each mod was followed with long test rides then more mods till it was right.Before long the stock cover didn,t work any more so I learned to make patterns out of clear vinyl as seen on a you tube for a BMW seat mod.That was followed by buying an old Singer and experiments with sewing.In the end I,m happy with a comfortable but amature looking seat and with all that was learned it has been worth it.When the time comes to sell off the vee I,ve got a stock replacement seat.

71 BSA Victor 500, 78 Yamaha XS750, 83 Yamaha Seca 550,
01 Triumph TT600, 98 MG Ev1100, 02 MG Lemans V11,14 kawi klx250s, all sold except 2012 Suzuki Dl1000
post #3 of 16 Old 05-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Has anyone modified their stock seat?

Just for fun I'm thinking about trying some of the techniques shown on numerous You Tube videos to get a better shape in the stock seat foam. Goals would be to eliminate the slight forward lean and the convex shape. Seem like cutting the seat flat would be an improvement. Dishing a tractor seat shape would be icing on the cake.

I tried it on my 2005 Wee, but made the mistake of making it wider than stock so the stock seat cover would not fit. This time re-using the stock seat cover will be a goal.
A worthy goal. If you do this I know I would appreciate pics of the process. I wonder if the foam actually starts flat and is rounded when the cover is put on. I overcome most of the stock seat problems by using an AirHawk R, gently inflated and placed so that the back of my pelvis is on the seat and the front is on the pad, thereby filling in the forward slope.
richlandrick likes this.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold

post #4 of 16 Old 05-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Rick, I have modified a few of my own now with great results. I think this website is very helpful: < Comfort Basics > Check out the various tabs across the top. A 4" angle grinder with a gentle wire wheel or a flapper disc is a great tool. It's a little like carving with a chain saw though; really easy to take off way too much way too fast. Strong grip and gentle pace are essential, if the wheel grabs, it'll run into the material fast and deep. Pneumatic stapler is $40 well spent, too.
I am tall enough that I usually cut the step in the seat back a little, I also build up the nose a little to stop sliding forward, and I remove some stock foam and replace it with something a little firmer from my hardware store. I also sculpt out pockets for each buttock, you can see the beginning of that in one of these pics. I also use the firmer foam to build out the width just a little. The pics are from my '83 Maxim 750. That one got a new cover. My Re-Strom kept the original cover, as did a couple other bikes. I did 17,000 miles with a few 800-900 mile days on that last year. It was WAY better than stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7609.JPG (33.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7611.JPG (33.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7614.JPG (40.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7617.JPG (34.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7743.JPG (60.3 KB, 85 views)
richlandrick likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
I brought up the subject about seats with my chiropractor and he suggested using a custom foam material to make a mold of your butt while sitting. I can't remember the product name he mentioned but I will find out. It's kind of like making custom orthotics. He suggested doing it while wearing your riding pants :-)
richlandrick and griff010 like this.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCOCTILINIAKSKYMEMAMOMTNVNHNJNMNYOHPASDTXVTVAWVWY  sm.jpg
post #6 of 16 Old 05-22-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Back when I modified my stock Wee seat I came across a material used to mold custom seats for wheel chair bound people. Due to their conditions they often needed special support (think Stephen Hawking).

A two part foam was added to a bag and the person sat on it for a short period of time. The result was a foam matching the shape that person alone needed for support. Very cool and a godsend to hose stuck in the same position for long periods of time. Something at least similar is used in NASCAR and Indy cars and the foam is available for about $60.

In the distant future I think motorcyclelist will sit on something like this and a computer driven mill will use measurements of the depression of the pins to carve their perfect seat.

For this project I'm going to just try and do something anyone could do on their own with out too much effort. But, that two part foam custom seat is calling me and i will probably try it eventually.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

The problem with it being too custom is that you need to be able to move around on it constantly, cornering, stopping at lights, backing the bike up etc. If you have a perfect pocket to sit in, then you are limiting what you can do. It sure would be nice on long highway stretches though.

I didn't like the cover that came with my bike so had a leather one cut and at the same time the seat modified to remove tailbone pain (after a few hours riding). These are not things I could do on my own.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-22-2016, 01:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I haven't felt the need for my V2 but on other bikes including my SV650 I have replaced the top 2.5 inches of the OEM foam with 3 inches of aircraft seat foam. On a couple of them I widened the tailbone section (leaving the front as is) and had a upholstery shop add a "v" of fabric to the center of the stock cover. Very inexpensive and by using a contrasting fabric, as opposed to a bad match, the job looks professional.

The foam source: BACKSAVER FOAM from Aircraft Spruce or CONFOR FOAM SEAT CUSHION from Aircraft Spruce

That foam is used by endurance glider pilots and while it isn't as cheap as you can get, at the end of a day I'd pay twice that much.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #9 of 16 Old 05-22-2016, 03:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Have a look at:

DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

I read their tutorial and then modified the seat myself. Works a treat plus I reused the original seat cover (which a Kea has now chewed a hole in). Minimal cost, just some foam which I got from an upholstery (offcuts) and a can of spray on glue, total around $30 for a seat which I can ride on all day. Probably the most important bits were getting the right shape for my butt plus, putting in some really soft bits for the pin bones and getting the position correct. Note, I didn't modify the rear part of my seat but as I rarely take a pillion this is not a problem.

IBA 54971
post #10 of 16 Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

The best mod I've found is gel between the seat pan and the foam. The main reason is that it doesn't require real skill as the shaping of the seat doesn't get messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode