2014 Vstrom 1000 Noise ???? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-07-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
2014 Vstrom 1000 Noise ????

I know there a few threads on noises but none that relate . Just wondering if any has the same noise or do I get my but to the dealer so they can listen .

Idling and up to 3000 rpm there is a significant grinding / growling noise .I also can feel a vibration in the handle bars(slight) . If I pull the clutch in the bike sounds and feels normal again . I know this noise has not been there in the past . It is not a knocking noise of any kind .It may be happening over 3000rpm but I cant feel/hear it because of the engine and exhaust noise . Also engine temp has no effect on it , it is the same hot/cold.

Also there is ticking noise at idle ...almost sounds like a bad spark plug wire that is jumping to ground .....zap-ing noise. The noise does NOT have a rhythm to it , it is sporadic

The bike has 966 km on it , was going to do the first oil change at 1000 km .There is no drivability issues what so ever .

Any feedback would be great

There are tons of stupid questions , if you ask me one I will tell you it was a stupid question .

2014 V-Strom 1000SE
2013 Goldwing 1800

Last edited by Kubi; 05-08-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

At your km's it is unlikely the clutch basket, but it is possible. Two other things come to mind. One is something in the transmission that is noisy, pulling in the clutch will reduce this as well. Second is the reverse thread nut on the right side of the crankshaft has worked loose. This holds down the gear that runs the clutch basket. Used to be a common problem on SV 1000's and I have heard of a few DL 1000's as well.

Third thing is that you might just be getting used to the bike and just now hearing/feeling stuff that you overlooked earlier! My advice is to run it like you would anyway and if it gets worse, take it to the dealer. That is what a warranty is for!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 24 Old 05-08-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
At your km's it is unlikely the clutch basket, but it is possible. Two other things come to mind. One is something in the transmission that is noisy, pulling in the clutch will reduce this as well. Second is the reverse thread nut on the right side of the crankshaft has worked loose. This holds down the gear that runs the clutch basket. Used to be a common problem on SV 1000's and I have heard of a few DL 1000's as well.

Third thing is that you might just be getting used to the bike and just now hearing/feeling stuff that you overlooked earlier! My advice is to run it like you would anyway and if it gets worse, take it to the dealer. That is what a warranty is for!
That's what my wife said to do .......drive it till it craters . Would rather have a minor repair done right now rather than a major one .

There are tons of stupid questions , if you ask me one I will tell you it was a stupid question .

2014 V-Strom 1000SE
2013 Goldwing 1800

post #4 of 24 Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a metallic vibration sound this weekend and found that one of my fog lights had come loose.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I realize how obvious this is going to sound, but believe me, a poorly maintained chain will create noises that sound as though the crank shaft is about to disintegrate. The pegs will vibrate, and your riding buddies will try to ride in front of you so they don't have to hear the clacka-clacka-clacka from your drivetrain.

Warm up your chain, get the bike up on a jack, or its center stand - use a quality chain cleaner - then use a quality chain lube. I prefer a chain wax for on-road, and Dupont Teflon Chain Saver for gravel/dirt riding.

The resulting silence will be deafening ;-)

Joe

Today is the only day that truly matters. Here's hoping that yours is beautiful.
2001 Honda 750 ACE - written off May 25, 2014
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Purchased August 25, 2014 - first ride September 2, 2014
http://advjoe.ca/
post #6 of 24 Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I cant tell you how true this above statement is, I actually thought a motor had to be replaced due to crankshaft bearing noise, when it was the chain causing the issues, despite being lubed there were a couple spots of compromised links that cause a very strange vibration through the bike.
New chain, and the issue went away....really surprised me.

A signature
post #7 of 24 Old 05-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

guys, the op said the bike only had 966 km on it. No amount of abuse or neglect would do that to a chain in that time period.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #8 of 24 Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
guys, the op said the bike only had 966 km on it. No amount of abuse or neglect would do that to a chain in that time period.
In all likely-hood you are correct, but there is always the extenuating circumstance of a faulty chain or whatnot. And it is a very easy thing to check and rule out in a matter of minutes.

A signature
post #9 of 24 Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

If it is easily repeatable, take it to dealer, this is why we have warranty. They may tell you to just ride it, but maybe they will go Hmm too and dig into it.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can't know how loud the sounds you describe are, but mine has a "growling or grinding" sound sitting still in neutral with the clutch engaged, pull it in and the sound goes away. It is obvious, but not something I would think the bike is falling apart. I think this is a normal thing for these bikes - I assume it's just the gears turning and meshing. I do know that the sounds on mine have changed over the break-in period - engine, transmission, exhaust, etc. My vote is to let the dealer have a listen. Of course, the stock reply is "they all do that". lol. Better would be to find someone in your area with the same bike and compare.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode