rear shock is a joke (what to do) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

rear shock is a joke (what to do)

im 250lbs with all my gear on, then add another 100??? lbs or so of luggage & the rear shock is saying no more son, im on a cycle trip as i write this & can tell folks the rear shock even at max spring preload settings is not up to the task especially if cornering is involved, iv never done much with rebuilding suspension but this bike (14 dl1k) needs some serious attn asap. also it only has 2500mi on it. You folks know of anyone i can send this shock to????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 01:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

You could try Cogent Dynamics. I don't know for sure that they rebuild the rear shock on the new DL1000, but they do on the DL650.

Cogent Dynamics - USA Made Motorcycle Suspension

I've dealt with them personally, and they provide an excellent product with great customer service.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #3 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
touratech make shocks

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

post #4 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same complaint with a new
BMW, used a Works shock. there all the same.
post #5 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Progressive suspension Aftermarket Rear Shocks - AdventureTech, LLC.

However,

You may need only a new rear spring. I am close to your weight, put a Wilbers spring on my stock DL650 shock and adjusted the rebouand to full minus 1/4 turn and found suspension nirvana for a whole lot less money. No matter what you are at least going to need a stiffer spring.

Don't forget the front springs though. Go to Sonic Springs use Rick's spring rate calculator Sonic Springs. Seriously, a lot of people make their living selling shock rebuilds and do a nice job, but new springs for YOUR weight and dampening adjustments will do wonders. That and a fork brace changed my Wee from a wobbly legged dual sport into a very competent sport touring bike.
sbeadg and Downs like this.
post #6 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Progressive suspension Aftermarket Rear Shocks - AdventureTech, LLC.

However,

You may need only a new rear spring. I am close to your weight, put a Wilbers spring on my stock DL650 shock and adjusted the rebouand to full minus 1/4 turn and found suspension nirvana for a whole lot less money. No matter what you are at least going to need a stiffer spring.

Don't forget the front springs though. Go to Sonic Springs use Rick's spring rate calculator Sonic Springs. Seriously, a lot of people make their living selling shock rebuilds and do a nice job, but new springs for YOUR weight and dampening adjustments will do wonders. That and a fork brace changed my Wee from a wobbly legged dual sport into a very competent sport touring bike.
I was going to make the same suggestion. I know it's not a 1:1 equation, but in my years riding DH mountain bikes, I could typically just replace the coil to get it to perform right for my weight. Usually all you need is the size and stroke and you can put a new one on. If you really wanted to bling it out, you could go for a Ti coil, but those ones are usually pretty pricey.
Downs likes this.

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. - Proverbs 17:28
post #7 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thank you folks for the great suggestions, im looking at all of them & going to talk to the companys & go from there. My riding friends razz me on just losing weight but honestly thats wrong too, lets say a scenerio that im only 180lbs + riding gear & my wife was 135lbs + gear, then we load the bike with all our luggage, well your right back to the fact this bike is waaaay undersprung, i just dont get why japanese bike mfg'rs continue to do this???? with this bikes intended purpose one would think suzuki could put some springs on this thing.
post #8 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottstrom View Post
im 250lbs with all my gear on, then add another 100??? lbs or so of luggage & the rear shock is saying no more son, im on a cycle trip as i write this & can tell folks the rear shock even at max spring preload settings is not up to the task especially if cornering is involved, iv never done much with rebuilding suspension but this bike (14 dl1k) needs some serious attn asap. also it only has 2500mi on it. You folks know of anyone i can send this shock to????
Gosh golly gee wizz.. you mean the last 21,300+miles, 34,300+km (I've only had it 10 months and didn't get much riding in over the winter) I have been riding a bike with a rear shock that isn't up to the task of handling my 250lbs (plus or minus) plus gear plus all the crap on the back? Maybe I should slow down a bit so that I can ride as slow as the sport bikes with their great suspensions? It's good to know I'm riding such a shitty bike so that I can blame it if I can't keep up with a faster rider!

I didn't realize it's such piece of crap! I'm in the middle of a two week ride with my wife (who rides her own bike but I'm carrying some of her stuff on my bike.) Should I cancel my ride tomorrow through the twisties down here around Romney WV and maybe get my bike shipped home?

..Tom

ps: are you sure you turned the rear pre-load the correct way?
pvwheeler and Hard miles like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #9 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was going to comment the same as you V-Tom, I did 6000km on a trip last summer fully loaded with no issues related to the shocks, 750km of loose gravel, dirt, mud too no problems. There is a bit of extra weight felt at the back from the luggage but the shock isn't going to affect that.

Is your shock bouncing too much, or bottoming out or something?
V-Tom and Hard miles like this.
post #10 of 92 Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Why didn't Suzuki put a heavier spring? Because they are not infinitely adjustable, they have to find a medium. 250 pounds before gear and a passenger is not the middle of the road. Your going to have to "spring" for a stiffer spring on your own.
Old Codger and Swlewers like this.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode