Tire sources away from home - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By cwjb
  • 1 Post By Null 13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Tire sources away from home

what is the best way to get new rubber if "passin thru"? I shun dealerships but then they may have the best immediate source and tire size. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Tire sources away from home

Look up local bike shops in the area you are going. There are Cycle Gears all over the place too, which sell many tires as well as mount n balance them.

-John
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a similar episode in Pocatello ID. no one had a tire for my 01 RT. I called my local tire dealer and he had one drop shipped to me at Motel 6. The local Honda dealer sent a guy to the motel and fetch me to the shop and 20 bucks later I was on the road. Yep, I tipped the driver. Oh, the local tire dealer waited until I got home and i showed up at his shop to pay him for the tire. I's good to have a rapport with a friendly merchant.
A good experience but I hate when that happens.
There are so many on line big shops that ship overnight that a tire isn't too far from you. Just an aggravation.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I try and do a bit of preplanning when it comes to tires on trips. Figure out about where I'll need a tire, check the intranets for a dealer or mechanic, call them and tell them to order what I want and it's ready when I get there. I can wait in the shop while they do it. I've had pretty good luck finding independent wrenches.
notacop likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I left out of a rally with a tire strapped to the top of my gear cus it was a good buy. I had more Harley riders looking at me and asking about it.
Kinda funny i thought. Be a good Scout and be prepared!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I learned my lesson the hard way, and in a VERY expensive manner too.

Switch tires BEFORE you leave.

I could have saved hundreds of dollars by not relying on us shops and the opinion of forum members on that one.
realshelby likes this.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

One of the reasons I like my Bridgestone T-30 tires that we have run on V Stroms and mostly on the Beemer is the costs. These tires handle wet and dry as good as any tire I have used, and get as good of mileage as most any.

They are $225 per set compared to around $330 for Michelins for instance. What makes that important is that if I have a 4-5000 mile trip coming up I simply put a new rear on even if I have a LOT of tread left on the one I am removing. Yes I have put the old tires back on and finished them off on occasion. There is simply no way to justify the expense and anxiety of trying to replace tires while on a trip when I can install a new rear for $127 at home that will cover the entire trip without a thought. Plus deeper tread equals less punctures!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

I use a Bridgestone Battlewing BW 502 on my rear. I see the Bridgestone T-30 is right around the same price point. Do you do a lot of two-up touring? I'm just curious what sort of mileage you're getting out of that tire if you're riding two up. I burned through my last Battlewing after about 5500 miles, and wondered if the T-30 did any better.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode