Just take the muffler off? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

125Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just take the muffler off?

Obviously I came from the Harley world and I believe louder is better. This seeing machine is to quiet and I think that spending 500/800 on pipes is way stupid. Back pressure should not be an issue because of the restrictive header... Cat.. And that stupid exhaust valve. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Um...no. Don't do that.
Big B, richlandrick and sanmusa like this.

2007 DL1000
post #3 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballer View Post
Um...no. Don't do that.

This isn't what I'm looking for. I want technical data on why it is bad from an educated professional. Not just a simple no don't do... Because of someone's dislike for loud. I think this thing sounds bitchin open pipe. Maybe I can make.. (I am a pretty confident fab guy).. My own pipe that goes out the back but is smaller than this 100lb box

post #4 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Basically if I can't be proved that it's mechanically bad for the engine... I'm going to do it. I have had straight pipe cars bikes Harley's all my life.

post #5 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

OK...do some digging. Lots of info out there about DL's needing backpressure. Straight pipe =/= open header. Without backpressure, these bikes lose power. You also run the risk of running it way too lean unless you put it on a dyno and tune it do dump enough fuel in. I haven't seen a single Power Commander map out there for an open header.

When I was looking for low mount, shorty cans for my bike, I called D&D and gave them the specs I wanted. They wouldn't even consider it unless I was willing to pay them to do the R&D to test the design for adequate flow and backpressure. I ended up having Coffman's in Cali making me a pair (no R&D involved). I gained a whopping 2 HP over stock with a noticeable increase in fuel consumption after dyno tuning.
Downs likes this.

2007 DL1000
post #6 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Break it there and there is no back pressure. The cat is at the front of the muffler, leaving you with only open pipes. The exhaust system is tuned like and organ pipe to produce pressure waves that help with the scavenging of exhaust gases. The bike will lose some power and the already too lean mix will be even leaner, possibly burning your valves early.

Since that is your only interest, I'll leave it to others to mention how you are damaging your hearing, inviting incurable tinnitus and inciting anti motorcycle feelings in the general public. If you like all the things stereotypically associated with Harley, why not get one? That will keep your friends from disparaging you for riding a rice burner. Otherwise, we can only pray you get busted for running open pipes to help our reputations. The Vee2 will pop many more more times per minute at a higher pitch than the lower revving Harley. You may be mistaken for a teenager who did a muffler delete on a Honda Civic.
Big B, richlandrick, Toto and 14 others like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fine. I will manufacture my own short muffler

post #8 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 04:27 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
That's likely to be almost as bad. It takes some knowledge of fluid mechanics and some pricey equipment to design an exhaust component that does not hurt performance. Back pressure comes in a wave and getting the wave to break at the right position is not easy. Also, anything that is louder is likely to make the engine burn leaner. Even some commercial after market exhausts hurt performance, especially if the ECM is left stock. Don't be one of those people who confuse noise with power. More power often results in more noise but it rarely works the other way around.
Downs, VstromGrin and Vdubfreak67 like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubfreak67 View Post
Fine. I will manufacture my own short muffler

The world needs more selfish people like you.

Coops.
chicago, Spec and VstromGrin like this.

Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.

2015 XT.
post #10 of 79 Old 05-01-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish View Post
The world needs more selfish people like you.

Coops.

What do you mean? Are you agreeing with my frugality or saying I am a moron for not just bending over and paying whatever. A damn 2 brothers pipe is a straight pipe with some packing. That is the easiest thing in the world to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode