suzuki stand on ecu replacement - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

suzuki stand on ecu replacement

I have emailed my dealership that I wanted to give him a 3 attempt at the drivability proble
that I believe it is not normal for the bike to pop or backfire into the intake
also not normal to have the bike randomly die out whan the clutch is pulled in a
also not normal to not be able to drive in city traffic at slow speeds
my dealer said that Suzuki told him to tell mne to not run the engine that low it is not intended to run well under 2k
dealer then told me its like cars that some wont run under 2k
I told him that if he invested all of 5 minutes on google he would find all the information needed to support what I am saying
I asked him 4 times that it is normal behavior for a bike to run like this

if I were a new buyer of this bike I would demand a new computer before you buy
this is a 100 hp bike designed to run at low to mid rpms
how can the answer be don't run it that low
I barely even ride my Honda over 2k
is Honda really that much better then Suzuki
RazzleH likes this.

1975 Yamaha dt125
1982 Yamaha 550 vision
1986 fazer 700
1983 Suzuki gs750e
1984 Honda v65 sabre
1985 Yamaha rz500
1985 kawi gpz turbo 750
2000 Honda sabre 1100
1998 Honda 800 interceptor vfr
2002 ktm rfs250 and drz 250
3, 250 cc kymco scooters
2014 bmw c650gt
2015 fz-07
sill have
2014 ctx1300
2014 dl1000 vstrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I got them to update the ECU to a J12 and it did not change the fueling issues. It is still sucks riding in traffic and it surges. Once on the highway it is a fine machine but I do a lot of city/in town riding. I was told they won't do anything about the fueling issues. I also asked them about the engine noises after my first service and the answer was they don't know what causes it. I take it this only happens to some of us lucky buyers. I regret not looking at this forum prior to my purchasing bike. I went on magazine articles and people's talk about reliability of Suzuki's.I only searched this site out after the engine knock showed up right after first service. I find it frustrating. I have been told to put a power commander on and a G2 throttle tamer. What's that do to warranty issues though? Plus I really don't have extra money to be laying out.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

It sounds like Suzi isn't going to warranty that issue for you anyways, so you may as well fix it yourself, or sell the bike. It may end up cheaper to put a PC on it than to sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
I got them to update the ECU to a J12 and it did not change the fueling issues. It is still sucks riding in traffic and it surges. Once on the highway it is a fine machine but I do a lot of city/in town riding. I was told they won't do anything about the fueling issues. I also asked them about the engine noises after my first service and the answer was they don't know what causes it. I take it this only happens to some of us lucky buyers. I regret not looking at this forum prior to my purchasing bike. I went on magazine articles and people's talk about reliability of Suzuki's.I only searched this site out after the engine knock showed up right after first service. I find it frustrating. I have been told to put a power commander on and a G2 throttle tamer. What's that do to warranty issues though? Plus I really don't have extra money to be laying out.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-24-2016, 02:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Im sure you can fix the problem with this devise : www.Boosterplug.com But at the same time I must tell that I have the devise on my desk and not yet tryed it out. I have only used my bike for 1000km and I will use it for another 1000km before I mount it. After that I will post my experience. Next week I can tell if I get the same problem after the first service
post #5 of 25 Old 04-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't get me wrong, if something is really wrong with your bike, I think you should be looked after while under warr. But seriously, you run this bike under 2k rpm?!? It's a 1000cc twin, I can't even begin to imagine how that can not be good for the motor. Don't lug it, let it breathe a little.
Nail34, triman11427 and Spec like this.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I do agree with the statement about the magazine reviews. If they were upfront about these type of issues it sure would make some of these manufacturers take notice.

IBA #7147 Current Bikes
14 DL1000ADV
13 DL650A
06 DL650
2004 R1150R, BMW
2002 R1150R, BMW
1996 Road King, Harley Davidson
1994 FXR Superglide, Harley Davidson
post #7 of 25 Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
Don't get me wrong, if something is really wrong with your bike, I think you should be looked after while under warr. But seriously, you run this bike under 2k rpm?!? It's a 1000cc twin, I can't even begin to imagine how that can not be good for the motor. Don't lug it, let it breathe a little.
You know this isn't a parade bike. Thats what Harleys are for! I understand having to use the clutch often in traffic is a pain, but I haven't ridden too many bikes that like going under 8 mph without being luggy and hesitant.
2thDr likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
it's not that ,its the very twitchy throttles and that some time you try and accelerate from stand still and the bike stalls and engine dies on you.(happened to me a few times before i installed a pc5 ) now in the beginning you think "oo i screwed up i have to learn the clutch on the bike better" but then it happens again and again and you start hearing it from other people so you know its a problem with the bike .add to that the in the EU they are changing the ECU it means they should do it here as well.
I dont understand Suzuki it's their reputation but i guess they don't care much. my solution was PC5+AT and tune her on a dyno
Kevinjem7 likes this.

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-26-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have a problem with a bike that doesn't run right
and I don't understand the line of thinking that im not riding it fast enough
its a motorcycle not a track bike
it needs to be able to ride in traffic
why you all put up with these problems is beyond me
if your bike runs like mine does and you think that's ok because its a twin your fricken nuts
you cant always be full gas all the time at some point traffic happens
the bike should be able to pull you along
for all the guys telling me to just ride the bike faster
its possible your bike doesn't run like that
the difference is so dramatic from my Honda to the strom that I am embarrassed for Suzuki
It is shameful to expect I buy aftermarket parts to fix this problem
k6wee and RazzleH like this.

1975 Yamaha dt125
1982 Yamaha 550 vision
1986 fazer 700
1983 Suzuki gs750e
1984 Honda v65 sabre
1985 Yamaha rz500
1985 kawi gpz turbo 750
2000 Honda sabre 1100
1998 Honda 800 interceptor vfr
2002 ktm rfs250 and drz 250
3, 250 cc kymco scooters
2014 bmw c650gt
2015 fz-07
sill have
2014 ctx1300
2014 dl1000 vstrom
post #10 of 25 Old 04-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Virtually none of my bikes were very good in traffic. I've had to feather the clutch whenever I'm in traffic. I don't think it has to do with it being a twin and I'm not knowledgable enough to guess why manufacturers set up bike the way they do. I do know the V2 is excellent at 4000 rpm which is where many riders "live". I'm not sure this is the right bike for somone spending the majority of their day in very slow traffic. I live on Long Island, NY which has over 3 million people living on an island 120 miles long and at the most 8 miles wide and I'm able to ride this bike is traffic. It's not fun but it's manageable.
Kevinjem7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode