Noises from 2014 DL 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Noises from 2014 DL 1000

Hi All, I have a 2014 DL 100, have had her for 2 years since new and she has 14,000 Klms on the clock. I have done oil/filter changes at 1000, 6000, 10,000. I have noticed for the last 500 Klms or so the engine will quit when cold when you go to take off from the lights but is clear and much better when it warms up. also the front cylinder front plug has oil around the threads when I removed it. The engine is not using any oil or coolant. Also the crank case is pressurised at idle, when I remove the cap oil splutters out and a heap of air comes out constantly. The crank case breather hose has no signs of blockage and the inside of the airbag is clean as a whistle.

I have notices a slight cam chain noise at idle and when raving but its not too bad, very small sound.

I have noticed the oil looks aerated at idle in the window.

I have not done the valve clearances as yet

What do you guys think. I am hoping its just valve clearances and new plugs, but new plugs will not fix the oil on the plug thread issue.

I am at a loos from here on in. I have made my explanation as point form as not to confuse anyone.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8315.jpg (95.0 KB, 50 views)

2014 Vstrom DL 1000
2013 GSX-R 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 05:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think maybe the front plug was either not tight enough or maybe has a damaged washer. Everything else sounds good to go. Think you need a louder muffler!

L4 DL1000 Black Strom No3
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I saw the problem right away. Too clean. As for running with the oil cap off, sounds like normal back pressure to me.
Big B likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Engine running and you take off the oil filter cap........yes you will get a mess of oil coming out "that's normal". As for the stalling issue, have you had your bike in for the recalls?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Oil on the plug threads is common. Not so much oil as combustion by-products, but certainly looks like oil on some. Blow-by from crankcase is as it should be. Aerated oil in sight glass is normal with engine running. There is an update from the factory that might help with stalling, but otherwise I am sure your Vee2 is in quite fine shape...
Hard miles likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was surprised at how much pressure is in the crankcase when I started mine recently with the filler cap (inadvertently) loose. It was a fountain of oil spray to behold, forceful enough to seek out the farthest surfaces of the garage, and everything in between.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did that once on my cruiser and learned my lesson, yea, don't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
I was surprised at how much pressure is in the crankcase when I started mine recently with the filler cap (inadvertently) loose. It was a fountain of oil spray to behold, forceful enough to seek out the farthest surfaces of the garage, and everything in between.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lets work on that for a moment. At Idle, on level surface, if you see oil in the sight tube you may get aerated oil and a destroyed motor.
Please check your oil level is correct by using the Factory approved method as noted 6.21 in your owners manual.
Engine off, level ground, vertical and 3 minutes approx. after the motor is off. If you see oil in the middle of the sight screen when the motor is running you have way to much oil in the crankcase
I also might have misconstrued your description, I hope so.
Oil capacity is noted in your owners manual under Specifications. two amounts - one without oil filter change and a small increase for a new filter when fitted.
I urge you to check accordingly.
VSrider likes this.

Last edited by Thunderdownunder; 04-15-2016 at 08:07 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdownunder View Post

Lets work on that for a moment. At Idle, on level surface, if you see oil in the sight tube you may get aerated oil and a destroyed motor.
Please check your oil level is correct by using the Factory approved method as noted 6.21 in your owners manual.
Engine off, level ground, vertical and 3 minutes approx. after the motor is off. If you see oil in the middle of the sight screen when the motor is running you have way to much oil in the crankcase
I also might have misconstrued your description, I hope so.
Oil capacity is noted in your owners manual under Specifications. two amounts - one without oil filter change and a small increase for a new filter when fitted.
I urge you to check accordingly.
You being serious?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes. On starting the oil is pumped through the motor and will magically disappear from the sight glass. However what would I know, Its a Japanese thing.
If you see oil in the sight glass when the motor is running you have overfilled the crankcase and in doing so the spinning bottom ends will hit the oil and cause air bubbles in the oil. This will have implications.
The method for checking has been given and should be checked according to the method stated.
The sight glass oil only represents approx. 300cc of the available oil. The pump will lift about 400cc up to the head on starting and this is why it "disappears" from the sight glass. However there remains a large volume below the sight glass that is in continual circulation. I reiterate if you see oil in the sight glass at idle you have to much oil in the crankcase. This can cause major mechanical failure through aeration (bubbles) being formed from crank agitation of oil. It lowers the oil pressure (oil does not compress but air bubble do) leading to oil starvation and premature wear at best or in the case of high engine revolutions... seizure by starvation.
Yes I am very serious.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...90/aerated-oil

Last edited by Thunderdownunder; 04-15-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode