Driving light advice - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Driving light advice

IM looking at a pair of 18 watt 1.5 amp driving lights to mount. I have three questions 1. Would you recommend flood or driving beam? 2. Given that the amperage is so low, can I install without a relay? 3. Has anyone mounted a flush mount switch 8n to the cover of the 8nstrument cluster? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

1. Depends on your driving requirements. Some choose one of each.

2. Relays are always a good idea, but... I have a brightness controller & wired it without a relay, there is not a lot of draw.

3. I have seen a few dash panels with switches, plan well & use caution, there is not a lot of space behind the dash. I have a light switch on my handlebars right next to my "regular" light controller; it fits great and works well.
post #3 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have tried many different aux lights and every time I get a narrower beam than the previous. I find floods pretty much useless. Maybe for slow trail riding, but out on the road where you're moving along at a good clip, you want to see as far down the road as possible for increased reaction time. What good is seeing to side of the road at only 50 yards or less ahead? Already way too late anyway.

I've never bothered with relays for low power led's.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000

post #4 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

For me I only need the Aux lights for visibility, so floods make more sense. I have no intention of riding at night. If you ride at night then Spots make more sense, and maybe they are the best overall use kind of lights since they will also be visible from a distance.

I did not use a relay, no issues.
post #5 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

A wiring harness with a relays are useful for switched installations. An installation where the lights can not be left on when the key is off and the bike is not running. Otherwise they don't do much for people who are comfortable with roll your own LED wiring. E= IR and P=EI so a pair of 10 watt LEDs only draw about 1.67 amps. That makes 18 gauge wiring and simple rocker or toggle switches more than adequate.

However, they are a godsend to people that are not comfortable with electrics making the job easy and eliminating a lot of anxiety (e.g., red wire to battery positive, black wire to battery negative, white wire to a switched source). Find a place to stick the switch, hook up the lights, and your done.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

You can easily order a switch that mounts to your handlebars and looks good,not cobbled for a decent price on amazon. I plan on ordering the cree leds and thought about splicing them in with my hi beams.
richlandrick likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

In my experience, slaving the lights to the high beams is a very popular option. Especially if you are running spot lights.

You want the auxiliary lights on at all times during the day and riding with your high beam on in the day is not a problem. If slaved from the high beams, the auxiliary lights will turn off when you dim to low beam. I would suggest a relay for this application because you don't want to add to the current already going through your stock light switch.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
What do you mount relays for ?

Down Under.
Julian moto blog: www.julian.id.au
post #9 of 36 Old 04-12-2016, 02:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

It reduces the loads on the OEM wires and switches so things work as they should for the life of the bike.

Without relays things may work for a time but the extra loads could be a costly mistake in time, relays are cheap and easy to use so are good insurance.

Do it one time and do it right.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Dunno anything about lights but I'm interested in the "benny sex press"
Trepidator likes this.

Ron B. VK2OTC
2007 Yamaha XJR1300

RIP Bucko
1979-2008 - Riding on forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode