Can't get my end in? --Problem with OEM panniers & temp fix - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By FoggySwamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2016, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Can't get my end in? --Problem with OEM panniers & temp fix

Has anyone else had this issue with the V2 panniers, where the lock mechanism shifts inadvertently so that the lids will no longer close/lock?
(The following longish story makes more sense if you're familiar with the panniers' lock mechanism, and apologies for not having pics to post.)

Situation is that there's a metal plate within the lock, under the key-hole lever, where the locking pin that turns with the key slots in. When it's aligned properly, this normally has a slot/hole into which the locking pin goes when the panniers are shut. This then slides across when the key (and hence the locking pin) is turned, I think serving to lock down the carry handle. (Said handle acts as a lever on the large pin at the back of the pannier that locks the pannier to the bike.)

Anyway, the issue is that the above metal plate on both my panniers slides by itself, after the pannier has been opened, into a position where the slot is no longer lined up and the locking pin hits the plate instead of slotting through. I've no idea why it happens, but this is what I've done:
A piece of fine gauge fencing wire bent at the end can slide between the lock and the pannier (or elsewhere) to push the metal plate back to where it should be and allow the lock to close as per normal. Easy, but a right royal PITA.
First time it happened was in my shed -- no drama, I worked it out; but I'm glad that I had the foresight to add that little piece of wire to my key ring just in case it happened on the road, which invariably it did.
Disappointing given the amount of $$ those panniers cost. But of course they're now out of warranty.

So that's my warning/advice should anyone else have the issue. Hope it helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

The stock side boxes.. I have them.. Are horrid. The absolute worst design I have ever encountered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Pro's:
They're definitely 100% water proof and dust proof. Have ridden for hours in torrential rain with no leaks.
They're solid -- I clipped my trailer in the driveway with one (yes, forgot I had the extra width on board ), but it survived unscathed.
I like that they're narrow enough to lane filter (don't forget the extra width).
They look good on the bike.
They clip on and off easily and open/lock with the bike's ignition key.

Con's:
Way too small. A bit more thought and more volume could have been achieved while maintaining the narrow waist-line.
Really expensive for what you get.

Since these are the first panniers I've had in 20 years and five bikes I don't mind them apart from the above, but they're only a small supplement to a top-box or bag if you're touring.
Nail34 likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Vdubfreak67 You are in Florence ky? Nice area. I'm in Vine Grove Ky

Check out my Motorcycle videos on Youtube :-)
https://www.youtube.com/user/sgtmarkins
post #5 of 6 Old 04-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I just bought my 2015 white adventure. As they were checking everything out to load it up at the dealership this exact problem happened right in front of me. They tooknow the bag apart and put a new rivet in that plate and it works perfectly again. The stock rivets tend to break off just below the head.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have used huge Jesse bags for years but like the looks of these so will take less gear and get out my old nylon stuff bags from packing days. Expensive gear will go in the top bags so easily taken in to room. Its the time of year to sort out your chest of drawers. My old undies and socks become one way items for the road. My tool pouch also is being organized and lightened up. since these are side loaders its necessary to bag items and be selective, knowing which pannier has needed items for camp or overnight. Looks like they don't care for overstuffing so shaping the stuff bags inside is necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode