StromTrooper banner

HELP - oil leak!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  strominateacup 
#1 ·
For some unknown reason, today I decided to clean the area around the front sproket (which BTW wasn't very dirty because I had cleaned it last fall.)

After I put everything back together I start the bike and – HOLY CRAP!! – there is oil dripping from just below the clutch slave... I checked and it was engine oil, not clucth/brake fluid.

SO I took everything apart again and looks like the oil was coming from the push rod - quite a bit of it too!
I cleaned everything, put it all back together, start the bike and... no leak. I even went for a short ride and everything seems fine.

What the heck did I do?! Any idea what could have caused the leak?

#4 ·
Your first mistake was cleaning the bike :grin2:
But yes maybe a bit of grit got into the seal when you cleaned it up. Did you just wipe over the dirt or use any pressure wash on it?
It's amazing how much grease and road dirt collects around that area.

#5 ·
No, no pressure... I actually didn't have to do much cleaning as the area was already qute clean.
Maybe the push rod didn't go in properly when I re-mounted the slave.
I'm just surprised that it could start AND stop leaking so easily. Never had that happen to me before.

#6 ·
Be sure you are leaving the piston rod in the seal when you clean, otherwise gunk and cleaner will get into the seal and into the clutch. Not sure exactly what happened.....quite peculiar.

#7 ·
The push rod seal can move very easily, it can be pushed into the motor as there is no stop behind the seal.

Use hook to pull the seal back into place.

When putting things back together ensure you fit the rod first, check the seal is in place then fit the slave cylinder.

I built a seal saver to keep the crud off my rod and out of the seal.

Reactions: Bugzy
#8 ·
The push rod seal can move very easily...
I must have ー somehow ー installed the pushrod incorrectly, and that might have ー somehow ー changed the position of the seal, causing it to let oil pass through.
When I then removed the slave, pulled out the pushrod and put it back in place it must have ー somehow ー re-aligned the seal. No more leak.

That's the only logical explanation I can think of. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage that is going to sneak up on me later on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.