Installing Locks in Factory Bags - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Installing Locks in Factory Bags

I have a new 2014 1000. I bought a set of used saddlebags. I want to install the locks (mine came with 3 sets matched to the ignition key) and am not sure how. Does anyone know the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
It depends on the type of saddlebags you have. Can you post pictures of the side bags, locking area of the bags (where the locks would go) and your locks.

I went through this on my 15 ADV with factory bags. Believe it or not, the dealer tried to sell me an ADV model without the side bags, stating that the bike didn't come with it that way from the factory. It was a long process, but I finally got the bags and ALL of the lock pieces.

Show us what you have.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" George S. Patton
post #3 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2014 with the factory bags that come on the ADV version. Should be the same ones you have.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfatslim View Post
2014 with the factory bags that come on the ADV version. Should be the same ones you have.
Ok, so before you start you want to make sure you have all of the pieces.

The set of locks that came with your bike will look like this...

You will need to remove the flat pieces and install an end piece that looks like this...

If you don't have the arrow looking pieces in your setup somewhere then you will not be able to use your locks. You will need to get with a Suzuki dealer. They had to warranty mine and request a new set of locks, keys, etc because they had lost the little end pieces.

Let me know if you have all of the parts and then we can move into the installation.
Hetuck likes this.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
post #5 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That sucks. Thanks a lot. My bike did not come with these end pieces either.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yep, it was a total pain in @ss for me as well. It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out the difference in the locks and end pieces with the dealer. My local dealer is not what I would call a quality show. The good thing for me was, I had just purchased the bike and it was under warranty.

The con is, I couldn't find anywhere to order the arrow end pieces. Matter of fact, the dealer couldn't find them listed in the parts catalog after I showed them the pics of different end pieces. They had to call the mother ship and that even took 2 days to figure out the arrow pieces only come with the ADV model/bags and you can't order just those pieces.

Good Luck, let us know how you get it sorted.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I just sent pictures and info to my dealer to see what is up. I wonder if these pieces are supposed to come with the bags.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Suzuki says that the standard Vee2 gets 3 locks matched to the Ign key. They went on to say that the Adv model gets 3 locks matched to the key, but they also get the arrow locking tabs as a kit that comes with the ADV side bags. Suzuki had no way of selling or shipping just the arrow pieces. It had to be as part of a total lock kit (Ignition, Gas Lid, Seat and 3 locks). The dealer ordered the Lock Kit as a warranty item.
Hetuck likes this.

13' KLR 650, 06' GL1800
post #9 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfatslim View Post
That sucks. Thanks a lot. My bike did not come with these end pieces either.
Mine do not have the arrow pieces either...crap ... I just have the cylinder with the flat pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefloncandy View Post
Suzuki says that the standard Vee2 gets 3 locks matched to the Ign key. They went on to say that the Adv model gets 3 locks matched to the key, but they also get the arrow locking tabs as a kit that comes with the ADV side bags. Suzuki had no way of selling or shipping just the arrow pieces. It had to be as part of a total lock kit (Ignition, Gas Lid, Seat and 3 locks). The dealer ordered the Lock Kit as a warranty item.
Thanks for the information.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Having time to consider this problem, any reason one couldn't just cannibalize the little arrow piece from an existing Adventure model key cylinder, and transfer it to the cylinder that matches their key?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode